6 flats in a week, ******* p******e f***y

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Bad week last week:
2 off - split in the inner tube. These are the sort of fast failures characterised by a loud bang, or at least an evident psshht sound. Strangely, both happened with the bike in the bike shed at work, i.e. it was OK when I wheeled it in, but flat and could not pump any air into it when I returned. I would assume sabotage or wheel / tyre defect, only it was different bikes in different bike sheds in different cities. And as far as I know, I'm the only one who can access both.
1 off - failed puncture repair under pressure. Rough canal towpath taken at speed caused the failure of the vulcanized joint.
1 off - pinch puncture. Surprised to see the snake bite, as I had pumped the tyre up only the night before, so there should have been enough air in it.
1 off - valve leaking - yes one of the screw-in continental tubes. Why?
1 off flat, but pumped up the inner tube, and cannot find a leak. Strange, as it was a fast puncture - full to flat in less than 24 hours.

And didn't come at a good time either. One was the rear wheel of a hub-geared bike. Couldn't undo the nut, so had to take it home on the train. One was when I had a train to catch. The puncture and replacement caused me to miss the train by 4 mins, and had to wait an hour for the next. Couldn't ride any further, as the another puncture occurred en route. 1 flat tyre and no spare inner tube. And on Friday, came back to my bike to find two flat wheels.

This week has been better.

hoopdriver

Guru
I have but three words - Schwalbe Marathon Plus

Slick

Guru
Not quite as unlucky but my commute ride last week was a pain with 2 flats within a couple of miles of one another.

I haven't had an issue on my commute for the longest time and probably was getting a bit complacent. My first was a pretty standard front puncture which was particularly annoying as I had just put a new tube in it the night before as it seemed to deflate overnight after a weekend ride. It was soon fixed and I was on my way, but only another couple of miles later I realised the rear wheel was sinking in the tarmac. Once again, It was fixed in double time as I knew time was now getting on, and just as I started thinking that I hope nothing else happens on this ride, the valve gave way. I'm still not sure if it was a dodgy valve or an old tube but either way, I had no pump, no C02 and no idea how I was getting to work on time. I walked a couple of miles to Halfords, only to realise that they didn't open to 9.30 and this was 7.30. Luckily a female friend from work with an estate car agreed to come to my rescue which was much appreciated. I nipped up to Halfords at dinner time to replenish my stock of gear and replaced the tube at work to get me home.

Ajax Bay

Guru
my commute ride last week was a pain with 2 flats within a couple of miles of one another.
Just carrying CO2 (ie no pump) is a rider choice. Some of these minipumps are really quite small but sufficiently 'get you there/home' effective. Carry patches (volume/weight = negligible). @Slick You said you carried patches three months ago - see post below
(If presta valves) Carry presta to schrader adapter. Increases chance of being able to use a pump that you find to borrow or to use service station forecourt air.
I've been reasonably fortunate so far. I didn't fancy fixing a puncture on a cold wet commute, so invested in those supposedly puncture resistant tyres and binned the repair kit. The inevitable bit of glass hit the resistant strip on the edge and worked it's way in just as I crested the Erskine bridge at 6 am when nobody else was around so I had to push the bike the last 5 miles to work. Lesson learned I got the minibus drivers number at work who agreed to come and get me if anything ever happened again. It did but now I carry 2 tubes and patches. . . . . I now have an agreement with a friend at work to be the 4th emergency service for each other which hasn't been put to the test yet touch wood but may also look in to the 18 quid thing as it seems foolish not to at that price.
Like the atavar btw.

Slick

Guru
Just carrying CO2 (ie no pump) is a rider choice. Some of these minipumps are really quite small but sufficiently 'get you there/home' effective. Carry patches (volume/weight = negligible). @Slick You said you carried patches three months ago - see post below
(If presta valves) Carry presta to schrader adapter. Increases chance of being able to use a pump that you find to borrow or to use service station forecourt air.

Like the atavar btw.
Well done for finding that and your right I did carry everything, in fact I carried 2 or 3 of everything including canisters and pump but everyone I ride with seemed to laugh at this approach and advised I was carrying too much. It was probably just a month or two ago I thinned my tool bag right down to what I was told would be the care essentials. Oh how we laughed.

Kudos on finding that post by the way.:thumbsup:

The avatar is a much cherished model of a fishing boat that sailed out of the West coast called the Nobles Again. The first boat sank I think and when the skipper informed everyone he was just going to re name her replacement the Nobles, they all replied ah, the Nobles Again.

My father in law sailed aboard her and built the model.

Slick

Guru
And the friend from work thing is alas no more as he had now moved on.

Alan O

Über Member
Well done for finding that and your right I did carry everything, in fact I carried 2 or 3 of everything including canisters and pump but everyone I ride with seemed to laugh at this approach and advised I was carrying too much. It was probably just a month or two ago I thinned my tool bag right down to what I was told would be the care essentials. Oh how we laughed.
I carry a bag full of stuff - and people I ride with who need the tools I'm carrying which they don't have themselves certainly don't laugh at me :okay:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I can better that. 9 punctures in 6 rides. Worn rim tape, looked ok to the naked eye, but once tube inflated, it was causing it to move out of position so, allowing pinch punctures.

New tape sorted it.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
One word, tubeless.

I'm a confirmed fan of tubeless tyres - since fitting them a few months ago I've had a couple of punctures that have sealed themselves so quickly that I didn't even have to slow down and hardly lost any pressure. Fantastic! However, you still need to be prepared for the worst even with tubeless tyres - I had a terminal puncture in the rear tyre last weekend when I stupidly hit a stone that gashed the sidewall, such that the sealant wasn't able to do its job.

Since I was carrying an inner tube as back-up, I just stuck that in for the rest of the ride. Fortunately, I think the tyre will be repairable with a patch, but I haven't got round to doing it yet.

This experience has not dented my liking of tubeless tyres.

keithmac

Guru
I've been extremely lucky and would say I've gone at least 5 years puncture free!.

Was eying up the split innertubes you can buy as an emergency repair for my ebike but they have mix reviews?.

Rear wheel out would be a ballache at side of the road..

Top Bottom