60 mile bike ride kit list

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hodgey

Regular
hi im matt im 14 years old and am about to go on a 60 mile bike ride i am in a good fitness range and can do 23 miles in a hour to an hour and a half and need a kit list as i have just gone in to longer road cycling i have a hybrid bike but with drop down bar ends

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Ill start you off :smile:

Spare Innertube(s)
Tyre levers
Puncture Repair Kit
Multitool
Mini-Pump
Powerlink if you want
Phone
Cake/IceCream Money :hungry:

Big boy

hi im matt im 14 years old and am about to go on a 60 mile bike ride i am in a good fitness range and can do 23 miles in a hour to an hour and a half and need a kit list as i have just gone in to longer road cycling i have a hybrid bike but with drop down bar ends
fitstly people will maybe need what kit u have.
Have u got a rack or rucksack to put your kit in?

I would say plenty of drink, pump. Mobile phone.
A spare innertube or repair kit.
Tools to do a pun ture repair.
Some food.
Lights high vis clothing.
I hope this has maybe given you some ideas.
A good check over your bike before u set off would also be an idea.
Good luck and let us know how u get on and what u do eventually take.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
£10 pound note just in case and if you want to be ultra careful your name and phone number of help tucked somewhere both of these dont weigh much and could help- i carry - multitool , spare link, innertube, food,drink,pump,phone and sometimes lightweight waterproof - but not very often as you get just as wet with sweat when wearing them -this i carry in a small topeak saddlebag type thing., the frame, and my back pockets it also makes a difference if your doing a circular route when your never far from home or a straight out route just go for it - its nice seeing different roads - plan the route well

Berties

Fast and careful!
Think about food and hydration,so a couple of bottles and jelly babies,flapjack or such like like or a gel sachet,and if you get chance to refill a bottle on route with water do it!and mr Jamie has given you a good list of essentials
So good luck!

snorri

Legendary Member
Don't get too concerned about your speed as you do the run, just complete the course without exhausting yourself. Record your overall time if you wish, and next time you will be faster!

Octet

Veteran
You need your basics such as comfortable clothing and shoes, plenty of water (maybe a Camelbak) and anything for emergencies. By this I mean things like mobile phones, emergency money, repair kits and bicycle pump, maybe a couple of plasters and spray on antiseptic just in case you take a tumble?

As sportsman suggested, make sure your parents know your route. Show them a map and give them some times, designate stop off points to give them a call... nothing worse then your mother worrying about where you are.

Good luck!

martint235

Dog on a bike
Two inner tubes, 60 miles is a long way to walk :biggrin:

Octet

Veteran
Why? Or more to the point, why particularly carry id for going out on your bike, rather than, say, going to the park?
And after all, what id exactly does a teenager actually posses

You have a higher chance of being injured (hit by a car, fall off etc.) then going to a theme park. Anything with emergency contact numbers would be useful, such as parents phone numbers or emergency medical information.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I think some people are going a bit overboard with their recommendations - you're going for a bike ride, not trekking in the Himalayas.

Bear in mind that the more stuff you carry, the greater the weight, and thus the more energy you'll have to use to shift it (especially uphill), so be prepared but try not to overdo it. You'll be riding for 3-4 hours, it's not a major expedition.

One spare inner tube should be plenty, but take two if you want to err on the safe side. Plus tyre levers and a pump. And practise using them before you set off to make sure you know what you're doing.

For a ride of that length, one large water bottle or two small ones should suffice - unless you're riding in a really remote area, you'll have opportunities to refill, eg at corner shops or cafés. That's a better policy than carrying lots of water with you (water is very heavy).

Some food will be a good idea, but again don't overdo it - a banana or two, maybe an apple, a bag of jelly babies. Plus money for a cup of coffee and piece of cake at the café stop. And eat a hearty breakfast an hour before you set off (give it time to digest).

As long as you check your bike thoroughly before you set off, mechanical problems shouldn't be a major concern on a ride of that length. Take a multi-tool in case you need to make minor adjustments on the road, and a mobile phone to call home for rescue if anything more major goes wrong. It's not worth trying to carry out major repairs at the roadside unless you really, really need to finish the ride.

Clothes-wise, check the weather forecast and dress appropriately. If it's dry when you set off, take a lightweight rain jacket just in case.

Most of all, enjoy the ride. If you're not used to rides of that length, go slightly slower than your usual pace to make sure you conserve some energy. If you're still feeling strong towards the end, you can increase the pace for a fast finish.

d.

Top Bottom