60 nm Torque wrench

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew Fox

Hello All,

I was just looking around for heavy duty torque wrenches up to 60nm, however I thought it would be best to ask the experts. I want a torque wrench capable of tightening bottom brackets that require loads of torque (If you can use it in that way).

I was hoping that someone could recommend one please?

Ta,
Matt

S-Express

Seriously, don't worry about it. I've never used a torque wrench on a BB of any sort. It's never been an issue. As long as they're in tight, is all that matters.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Seriously, don't worry about it. I've never used a torque wrench on a BB of any sort. It's never been an issue. As long as they're in tight, is all that matters.
That's probably true. However, if you want a wrench that covers that torque, I'd recommend the Sealey STW1011.
7 to 112 Nm, just south of £32. Don't forget to slacken the torque setting to zero when you put it back in the box.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1814...=9045945&device=c&campaignid=738210941&crdt=0

EDIT: BTW, I would use a wrench with a ( say) 3 to 20 Nm range for the fiddly things like stems. You can't expect a 7 to 112Nm wrench to be accurate down at the bottom of its range.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Beam wrench, especially if you've suitable sockets already. Big one for stuff like this http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Draper-...%3A4628954215a0a2a216812d84fff532ff%7Ciid%3A2

Topeak do a nice small hex drive one for dainty stuff (up to 12Nm) for about the same price.

They might not be essential but there's a few things where it's worth using them, so I feel one might as well use it elsewhere and avoid annoying mistakes like a loose BB or grinding it in too tight so stuff cracks.

OP
OP
M

Matthew Fox

That's probably true. However, if you want a wrench that covers that torque, I'd recommend the Sealey STW1011.
7 to 112 Nm, just south of £32. Don't forget to slacken the torque setting to zero when you put it back in the box.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1814...=9045945&device=c&campaignid=738210941&crdt=0

EDIT: BTW, I would use a wrench with a ( say) 3 to 20 Nm range for the fiddly things like stems. You can't expect a 7 to 112Nm wrench to be accurate down at the bottom of its range.

Thanks for all your replies. I think I'll go this option thanks @slowmotion!

Custom24

Über Member
Hi. Just be aware that at least some of the clicker type wrenches do not click on both directions. Mine only click when tightening in the conventional clockwise direction. Although they have a switch that allows me to also tighten in the anti clockwise direction, they don't click that way so can't be used for torque. I only realised this when using one for bottom bracket installation. I was lucky not to strip the threads in the frame as I kept tightening expecting a click. You can at least get a good idea of the torque required by comparing it to the clockwise side.

Top Bottom