6800 front shifter broke or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After a bit of advice please: The cable broke right at the lever on the left shifter while I was out last weekend, not great. I took the lever off and had a real hard time getting the old cable out, then end had turned in the lever and I had to take covers off etc.
Having removed it I tried checking the operation and I'm not sure if the levers broke, hence the request.
Clicking the small lever many times is OK, but when I operate the large lever it only gets one click/movement and with the trim function I would have expected 3.
Is that correct and is my shifter probably toast?
Thanks for any feedback

iluvmybike

Über Member
Check that there are not any fragments of wire left in the mechanism - there are often bits in there when they break there. Careful fishing out required,

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Found part of the downshift mechanism is actually broken not the upshift as I'd thought, its sheared through, Very poor build quality if it can't tolerate a broken cable. No doubt caused by me continuing to try to shift when the cable broke as I didn't realise it at the time. I'd love to change to Di2 but can't justify £800, so I'll have to spend £110 on a new shifter. I only need to have another 7 break and I'd have paid for the Di2 gear upgrade !

iluvmybike

Über Member
I find it is is best to change cables every 12 months or so - the way they run round the ratchet means they nearly always break there and yes if you continue to operate the lever it can be a beggar of a job sorting it and it does risk damage on occasions. For what they cost it is way cheaper than a new shifter. Think you were a bit unlucky there :sad:

Top Bottom