6p off diesel and petrol for next 3 months.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You are suggesting that Adrian is a Feminist ?

Whilst we digress in search of a bit of levity, the core of the argument is about the increase in the cost of fuel. One can like cycling, but also like using motor vehicles as well. You don't have to be in one camp or the other.
Cycling isn't just a lefite pursuit in the same way that driving isn't just for the DM readers (don't you know)
Really though? Really truly? One can truly like cycling and at the same time truly like something which makes cycling so unpleasant and is doing so much damage to society and the planet? Or does one restrict ones cycling to avoid interaction with the metal boxes? Or is it not more likely that one can own and ride bicycles, whilst not really 'getting' cycling and also like using motor vehicles as well. (Don't assume I'm a cyclist. I'm not. I ride bikes. In the same way as I play bass but am not a musician.)

Cycling, for recreation, and for transport when one has an economic choice, is a socially left-of-centre pursuit. Merely riding a bike it isn't. It, cycling, is making a statement through exercising a choice. If cycling has a soul then it is certainly a left leaning, socially aware, collective soul.

The questions that always gets missed are not "What is a cyclist?" and "What is cycling?" or "What is a bicycle?" but "When is a cyclist?" and "When is cycling?" and "When is a bicycle?"

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Tesco are now offering unlimited deliveries for £10.00 a month. You could have 1 carrot a day delivered if you really wanted

Said it before and I'll say it again, consumers are paying LESS for transport.
Stop it with the unhelpful, factually accurate, contributions. You'll be saying people have a choice next.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Really though? Really truly?

I'd hate to think that every time I rode my bike I was making some sort of statement about my political identity. Its going in the skip if thats the case.
what choices are you exercising when you ride your bike.....?;)

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Eh? We're talking about people in work, not those looking for a job. If you choose to live a long way from work then you need to accept that getting there costs money.

For a variety of reasons, many people don't have the luxury of being able to live close to where they work. For those people, the requirement to spend a lot of money on commuting is simply a 'tax' on working.

U

User482

For a variety of reasons, many people don't have the luxury of being able to live close to where they work. For those people, the requirement to spend a lot of money on commuting is simply a 'tax' on working.

Yes, many people claim this. When it comes down to it, we find the real reason is that they don't want to.

Linford

Tesco are now offering unlimited deliveries for £10.00 a month. You could have 1 carrot a day delivered if you really wanted

Said it before and I'll say it again, consumers are paying LESS for transport.

The problem is that this model is realistically unsustainable. They are all cutting each others throats for the business, and are totally exposed to fuel price fluctuations as they are private operators.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Yes, many people claim this. When it comes down to it, we find the real reason is that they don't want to.

Your viewpoint is one that I'd expect from someone who is ignorant and unaware of the real-life constraints that apply when people take the decision to travel long distances everyday for work rather than moving home.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Your viewpoint is one that I'd expect from someone who is ignorant and unaware of the real-life constraints that apply when people take the decision to travel long distances everyday for work rather than moving home.
The clue's in the question. A "decision" implies a choice. It might be one hedged around with all sorts of constraints - real and imagined - but it's still a choice.

For the record, my commuting distances have been 15 miles, 60 miles, 35 miles and now a mixture of 40 miles, 35 miles and half a mile. Do you see what I've done?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
the alternative is to just close the doors :sad:
Welcome to the real world of the private sector, Linford. It's a jungle out there - unless you're advocating state support of every private initiative, some of them will fail.

I could quote statistics at you, but I don't suppose you'd understand why I'd think of doing it (and I'm not sure I understand why I'd bother).

400bhp

Guru
The clue's in the question. A "decision" implies a choice. It might be one hedged around with all sorts of constraints - real and imagined - but it's still a choice.

For the record, my commuting distances have been 15 miles, 60 miles, 35 miles and now a mixture of 40 miles, 35 miles and half a mile. Do you see what I've done?

Gah, you gave the answer (well part of) :whistle:

Top Bottom