6p off diesel and petrol for next 3 months.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stowie

Legendary Member
A couple of questions with this post (clarity) - are you saying you run a company car ?

Also, we have already done this 'Hub' thing, and have established that it is only possible to operate these hubs by using very large HGVs which are being subsidised by the taxes of other motor vehicle users due to the amount of VED they pay, compared to the massive amount of damage they do to the roads/ketbs.

HGVs are also very badly represented in the cycling KSI stats

Yes, company car is a non-negotiable "perk" of the job I do. Most of the time outside work it sits outside my house and gathers dirt. The misses doesn't drive at all. I use the car for work, although try to convince my company that train is better for some journeys (sometimes an uphill battle when they consider they are already paying for my transport, but that is another "addicted to the car" conversation).

The reason that the huge hubs (see M25 near A10 for a Sainsbury's hub the size of a housing estate) are efficient for the supermarkets is that fuel is cheap enough to not negate economies of scale of a huge hub. And, as you rightly say, someone else is paying for the road-wear so this encourages these types of hubs. I guess what I am saying is that if fuel costs and / or road usage outweighed the economies of scale then these companies would move to another distribution model. In the same way that individuals will adjust their lifestyles to suit fuel prices. And I think that many of these changes may actually be beneficial both for the individual and also for our towns and cities as well.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
The things one has to do for patronising nobbers. The next thing we know they'll be asking us to correct their spelling.

You don't really get humour, do you Rich?

^_^ I think you should both concede that neither of you seems to "get" the other's humour, for some reason which escapes me entirely, and leave it at that.

Anyway, I also had to walk two miles to school (insert gritty embellishments suggesting poverty and resilience here). My grandmother worried about me run over to the extent that she would appear, looking very anxious, and pace up and down the road if I were a fraction later that expected. She was the worrying kind, as it happens, but it wasn't entirely irrational. When I recall the catalogue of killings and maimings of children by drivers on the road outside my middle school it makes me unspeakably angry, although at the time it was portrayed as a kind of inevitable tragedy that the school would suffer from time to time, rather than an intolerable outrage.

Linford

Yes, company car is a non-negotiable "perk" of the job I do. Most of the time outside work it sits outside my house and gathers dirt. The misses doesn't drive at all. I use the car for work, although try to convince my company that train is better for some journeys (sometimes an uphill battle when they consider they are already paying for my transport, but that is another "addicted to the car" conversation).

The reason that the huge hubs (see M25 near A10 for a Sainsbury's hub the size of a housing estate) are efficient for the supermarkets is that fuel is cheap enough to not negate economies of scale of a huge hub. And, as you rightly say, someone else is paying for the road-wear so this encourages these types of hubs. I guess what I am saying is that if fuel costs and / or road usage outweighed the economies of scale then these companies would move to another distribution model. In the same way that individuals will adjust their lifestyles to suit fuel prices. And I think that many of these changes may actually be beneficial both for the individual and also for our towns and cities as well.

Well really then what is needed is a recognition that an overhaul of the way we pay as individuals for the roads is considered.
The system of paying on carbon emissions really is a red herring as Lorries and buses run 8 litre plus turbo charged engines, but pay a lot less in VED for both the wear an tear they impose, or the damage they do.

Linford

^_^ I think you should both concede that neither of you seems to "get" the other's humour, for some reason which escapes me entirely, and leave it at that.

Anyway, I also had to walk two miles to school (insert gritty embellishments suggesting poverty and resilience here). My grandmother worried about me run over to the extent that she would appear, looking very anxious, and pace up and down the road if I were a fraction later that expected. She was the worrying kind, as it happens, but it wasn't entirely irrational. When I recall the catalogue of killings and maimings of children by drivers on the road outside my middle school it makes me unspeakably angry, although at the time it was portrayed as a kind of inevitable tragedy that the school would suffer from time to time, rather than an intolerable outrage.

One thing you can never be accused of is a working class background Claudine. There were loads of Janes, Sarah's, Julies, and Mary's, but the people with posh names didn't go to the state schools around my ways....

theclaud

Openly Marxist
One thing you can never be accused of is a working class background Claudine. There were loads of Janes, Sarah's, Julies, and Mary's, but the people with posh names didn't go to the state schools around my ways....

It's amazing the way you apparently know more about me than I know myself, Linfy. Well, either that or you know absolutely nothing and are simply spouting a collection of prejudices and projections. But I'm sure you would never do that...

Reactions: srw

Linford

Ah, so you dont think its fair then? You did yesterday!

Well thinking about it, and the way which the conglomerates are globalising our lifestyles with the resulting loss of indepenent traders in the UK, I kind of do still like the notion that the small corner shop should be able to operate competitively against the big guns.

We are both old enough to recall a shop and pub on each street corner.

The small shos have all but gone now, and the pubs are being pushed out by cheap booze from Tesco etc.

This model then forces many to either pay for a taxi or run a car to get their weekly shop as these cathedrals of commerce are well spread out.

Don't you agree ?

martint235

Dog on a bike
The small shos have all but gone now, and the pubs are being pushed out by cheap booze from Tesco etc.
I live in a suburban corner of London. Within "the town" we have two large supermarkets (Tesco and Morrisons), a Tesco Metro, another Tesco Metro to open within months and yet we still maintain a plethora of small grocery stores (I have a Mediterranean supermarket and a Costcutter with 50 yards of my house). If you want to buy a cabbage I would say you have a choice of about 15 shops all within a mile of my house.

All these shops including the Tescos/Morrisons are here regardless of the fact that we have 3 larger shopping areas (Bromley, Bexleyheath and Lewisham) all within 10 miles. I'd say this shows that your small shop can compete against the larger supermarkets, it just needs to offer something else.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Pah. Thats nothing.......

Linf's got a Tesco thats stays open for 24 hours a day. 24 hours a day! Thats a whole day! And not only that, and I do hope you are sitting down for this bit......

7 Days a F****ing Week!!!!!!!!!!

Me and Mangaman are planning a holiday there.
Ah you need to come down here though. The Mediterranean market (close enough for me to go in slippers) is not only open 7 days a week (ok not 24 hours a day though) it's open 365 days a year. Yep I can go and buy beer on Xmas day. There's no need for me to plan shopping, if I forget anything it's less than a stone's throw away. I am trying to persuade the owner to do home deliveries though. I could ring him and have food delivered in minutes! And on Xmas day! Beat that Tesco!

Linford

It's amazing the way you apparently know more about me than I know myself, Linfy. Well, either that or you know absolutely nothing and are simply spouting a collection of prejudices and projections. But I'm sure you would never do that...

Both my sisters went to public school (on scholarships) ,and loads of their school mates had posh names. Their parents used to run them to school in huge cars as well, and some even had servants. My sisters only had plain names though, and the girls with posh names were really quite bitchy to the poorer ones like them. Probably it was because the posh ones were only there as someone had dug deep, and not because they had the intelligence to get a place on merit.
They have done aways with the scholarships there now, and the only ones who get in are usually ferried by parents with huge expensive wankpanzers...i'll bet the whole school is now rammed full of kids with names like Jocasta, Olivia, Ameila, Arabella or a similar posh names Claudine ^_^

U

User482

on

User482 , the first point does remind me of the Tebbit ,get on your bike to find a job, remark.

Eh? We're talking about people in work, not those looking for a job. If you choose to live a long way from work then you need to accept that getting there costs money.

Ah you need to come down here though. The Mediterranean market (close enough for me to go in slippers) is not only open 7 days a week (ok not 24 hours a day though) it's open 365 days a year. Yep I can go and buy beer on Xmas day. There's no need for me to plan shopping, if I forget anything it's less than a stone's throw away. I am trying to persuade the owner to do home deliveries though. I could ring him and have food delivered in minutes! And on Xmas day! Beat that Tesco!
Where Mrs ArDee and I used to live there was a small shop on the corner that we called the "Never Shuts", I'd never walked round there without finding it open - no matter what time of the day or night.
It was run by a husband and wife team, Mrs ArDee went round there one afternoon to find that it was closed for an hour. We found out afterward that the husband had died and the wife closed the shop for an hour to go to his funeral :eek:.

green1

Über Member
However, when you talk about general haulage companies, the Eddie Stobarts of the world, there's no doubt their margins have felt the pinch. Whats the result of this? Well, theres still more freight on the roads than there is on the rail, by a massive percentage. So it cant be that bad. The good haulage companies have got sharper so are still making a profit. So it cant be that bad. The bad haulage companies have gone to the wall so cant charge a fortune for a sh*te service. So it cant be that bad.
That will always remain the case thanks to a certain Doctor's report released in 1963.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Both my sisters went to public school (on scholarships) ,and loads of their school mates had posh names. Their parents used to run them to school in huge cars as well, and some even had servants. My sisters only had plain names though, and the girls with posh names were really quite bitchy to the poorer ones like them. Probably it was because the posh ones were only there as someone had dug deep, and not because they had the intelligence to get a place on merit.
They have done aways with the scholarships there now, and the only ones who get in are usually ferried by parents with huge expensive wankpanzers...i'll bet the whole school is now rammed full of kids with names like Jocasta, Olivia, Ameila, Arabella or a similar posh names Claudine ^_^

Thanks for the riveting anecdote. And all this has what to do with me, exactly?

Top Bottom