6p off diesel and petrol for next 3 months.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
An awful lot of bovine excrement has appeared on this thread since I last posted. Certainly there's a lot of lazy people who could, and should, walk, cycle or use public transport instead of driving. However, there's also a lot of people who genuinely don't have a viable option other than driving. To think otherwise is pure ignorance.

stowie

Legendary Member
An awful lot of bovine excrement has appeared on this thread since I last posted. Certainly there's a lot of lazy people who could, and should, walk, cycle or use public transport instead of driving. However, there's also a lot of people who genuinely don't have a viable option other than driving. To think otherwise is pure ignorance.

There are also a lot of people who believe they have no choice, or say they don't, when they have an abundance of choice, but for whatever reason decide that the car is the "only viable option". I know from whence I speak - I used to be one of those people who would have needed to have their car keys prised from their cold, dead hands before giving up the car. Now if I had to run my own car (as opposed to company car) I don't think I would (although I would belong to a car club).

I heard on a radio phone in a few months ago a litany of hysterical motorists complaining that they had no choice. This was on a London station, so one would assume they are inside the M25 and not in the highlands of Scotland. One mother announced that she now had to choose between feeding her children or using that money to take them to school via car. Utterly hysterical nonsense which, tellingly, wasn't even challenged by the radio presenters. If one actually thinks you have to choose between feeding the children or taking them in the car to school then you have lost your mind.

Despite the fuel prices, I am not seeing many people on the motorways going at 56mph to conserve fuel - or indeed sticking much to 70mph. I am not seeing people driving carefully to maximise fuel consumption. In fact I not really seeing much to indicate that people are having to really think about fuel prices much at all. Sure, the cost of fuel has gone up, and many motorists don't like it. But instead of saying they are paying more for fuel, but they still choose to drive and want to moan about it (which sounds crap) they construct a narrative about lack of choice other than using a car. What they really are saying is that "sure, fuel has gone up and I am spending more, but it isn't enough for me to consider living my life slightly differently to reduce my consumption".

Fuel is still cheap enough for supermarkets to be more efficient in their distribution chains by taking produce from the West country to huge hubs around M25 / Birmingham and then send it back down to Exeter as opposed to implementing more localised distribution. It is still cheap enough for those supermarkets to locate out of town with no transport links other than the car and get people to pay to shop there through fuel costs in getting there. Office and industrial estates are still being built with virtually no accessibility via public transport because "everyone drives". The whole thing becomes somewhat self-perpetuating, and actually generates some of the characteristics of our urban and suburban environment with which we are least happy.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
on
1. People who live a long way from work could move closer.
2. Haulage is a very small part of food prices, and can be minimised by buying more local and seasonal produce.

User482 , the first point does remind me of the Tebbit ,get on your bike to find a job, remark.

rich p

ridiculous old lush

Drago

Legendary Member
Not long back our local tv news were doing a piece on congestion and were outside a school interviewing parents. "I have to drive the kids to school..." said one rather chubby lady, "...because it's a 20 minute walk."

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I belong to a few forums (including a couple of motorcycling and car ones), but just don't see the belligerency and scorn towards other groups as I see amongst you and your 'likers' because ultimately most of the members there belong to more than one modal group. Perhaps you need to get out more and try other things. It does wonders for balancing a world view :thumbsup:
try other things you say...

I'm a pedestrian
I'm a runner
I'm a cyclist and I'm learning to unicycle
I'm a rail user
I travel by bus
I drive cars
I ride motorbikes
I fly microlights
I've flown in a helicopter
I travel by aeroplane
I travel by ship
I've rowed a bit (it's been a long time baby)
I've skateboarded a bit in my time
I've in line skated (very badly)
I've street luged (it ended poorly)
I've zorbed
I've bungee jumped
In short
I've hopped
I've skipped
I've jumped

So....

Which mode would you like me to add to the list which would shift my world view to such a degree I become sympathetic to a bunch on whining cry babies?

Linford

There are also a lot of people who believe they have no choice, or say they don't, when they have an abundance of choice, but for whatever reason decide that the car is the "only viable option". I know from whence I speak - I used to be one of those people who would have needed to have their car keys prised from their cold, dead hands before giving up the car. Now if I had to run my own car (as opposed to company car) I don't think I would (although I would belong to a car club).

I heard on a radio phone in a few months ago a litany of hysterical motorists complaining that they had no choice. This was on a London station, so one would assume they are inside the M25 and not in the highlands of Scotland. One mother announced that she now had to choose between feeding her children or using that money to take them to school via car. Utterly hysterical nonsense which, tellingly, wasn't even challenged by the radio presenters. If one actually thinks you have to choose between feeding the children or taking them in the car to school then you have lost your mind.

Despite the fuel prices, I am not seeing many people on the motorways going at 56mph to conserve fuel - or indeed sticking much to 70mph. I am not seeing people driving carefully to maximise fuel consumption. In fact I not really seeing much to indicate that people are having to really think about fuel prices much at all. Sure, the cost of fuel has gone up, and many motorists don't like it. But instead of saying they are paying more for fuel, but they still choose to drive and want to moan about it (which sounds crap) they construct a narrative about lack of choice other than using a car. What they really are saying is that "sure, fuel has gone up and I am spending more, but it isn't enough for me to consider living my life slightly differently to reduce my consumption".

Fuel is still cheap enough for supermarkets to be more efficient in their distribution chains by taking produce from the West country to huge hubs around M25 / Birmingham and then send it back down to Exeter as opposed to implementing more localised distribution. It is still cheap enough for those supermarkets to locate out of town with no transport links other than the car and get people to pay to shop there through fuel costs in getting there. Office and industrial estates are still being built with virtually no accessibility via public transport because "everyone drives". The whole thing becomes somewhat self-perpetuating, and actually generates some of the characteristics of our urban and suburban environment with which we are least happy.

A couple of questions with this post (clarity) - are you saying you run a company car ?

Also, we have already done this 'Hub' thing, and have established that it is only possible to operate these hubs by using very large HGVs which are being subsidised by the taxes of other motor vehicle users due to the amount of VED they pay, compared to the massive amount of damage they do to the roads/ketbs.

HGVs are also very badly represented in the cycling KSI stats

Linford

try other things you say...

I'm a pedestrian
I'm a runner
I'm a cyclist and I'm learning to unicycle
I'm a rail user
I travel by bus
I drive cars
I ride motorbikes
I fly microlights
I've flown in a helicopter
I travel by aeroplane
I travel by ship
I've rowed a bit (it's been a long time baby)
I've skateboarded a bit in my time
I've in line skated (very badly)
I've street luged (it ended poorly)
I've zorbed
I've bungee jumped
In short
I've hopped
I've skipped
I've jumped

So....

Which mode would you like me to add to the list which would shift my world view to such a degree I become sympathetic to a bunch on whining cry babies?

My oh my, your carbon footprint must be prodigious :rolleyes:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My oh my, your carbon footprint must be prodigious :rolleyes:
Nice side step. Now answer the question.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Funny piece on BBC Breakfast this morning. A mother was defending driving her child the 7 minutes to school as it gave her "quality time" with her child. The other person on the sofa pointed out that if they walked she could have 30 mins with her child. "But we won't be able to talk or anything because of the noise from the traffic", the mother complained. "That's only the traffic caused by all the other mothers driving their children to work" was the response.

I just hoped my mother wasn't watching. She took me to school (walking) for the first week then that was it, walk on your own. My final primary school year was in a school two miles away. My secondary school was a two mile walk to the bus stop then a four mile bus journey.

Linford

Funny piece on BBC Breakfast this morning. A mother was defending driving her child the 7 minutes to school as it gave her "quality time" with her child. The other person on the sofa pointed out that if they walked she could have 30 mins with her child. "But we won't be able to talk or anything because of the noise from the traffic", the mother complained. "That's only the traffic caused by all the other mothers driving their children to work" was the response.

I just hoped my mother wasn't watching. She took me to school (walking) for the first week then that was it, walk on your own. My final primary school year was in a school two miles away. My secondary school was a two mile walk to the bus stop then a four mile bus journey.

We lived about 1/4 mile from our school and could walk it in about 5 minutes. I was walking on my own from the age of about 8. that said, my mate (neighbour) was run over by a passing car outside his house when he was about 6, and there was a lot less traffic on the road then than now

Top Bottom