700x23 Robust Tyre suggestions please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
The Conti 4000 4 season are great, 1 puncture in 3000 miles. When riding in a group once, we turned a corner onto broken glass, I was the only rider not to puncture.

As well as being durable, they are also easy to fit, and lightweight too.

Good Luck.

I've had issues with 4 seasons though. Although a pretty good tyre they take a lot of work as they seem to accumulate flints and you need to keep checking them. By comparison my cheap Rubinos don't pick up flints, they either puncture or repel (and touch wood have been quite good at the latter lately). I've been on some London Sunday rides where 90% were riding 4 seasons and we'd still get a fair number of punctures.

I'm tempted by M+ but don't really want to go to 25s.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I use Continental GP4000s on my summer bikes, but use the Gatorskin Hardshell on the winter bike. I am happy with these, the law of averages unfortunately means that there is no such thing as a puncture proof tyre if you ride your bike.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Just to muddy the waters... after a long spell without punctures I replaced my well worn cyclocross tyres with Gatorskins and got 3 punctures in the first hundred miles. Then I used Armadillo's and got 3 punctures in the first 400 miles. I think it's the downside of the low traffic, rural lanes we have around here. Lots of thorns from hedge cuttings and not many cars to squash them flat. The canal towpaths are even worse - covered with thorns in the countryside and with broken glass in the towns. But I'll take a few punctures over riding on A-roads.

Zoiders

I spent a grand total of £6 per tyre on the cheesy old Michellin Speediums and they have resisted punctures and wear as well as some tyres 5 or 6 times the price.

Enw.nigel

Michelin Krylion Carbon have come out tops in one of this months cycling magazines that I was reading off the shelf in W H Smith earlier today. Can't remember which one though. 16 were on test and Schwalve Durano were second.

Top Bottom