70L or 48L panniers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having hauled myself on a few occasions across Asia and Africa, I would suggest you need to firstly do a rough plan as to your route, what time of year you tend to travel, are you going to be climbing over high passes, will part of your journey involve travelling in snow conditions. Thus if your journey is timed to be in nice summer weather, then travel light, and using hostels, a pair of 40ish rear panniers and a bar bag should be more than enough. If you intend to camp the addition of a pair of 20 ltr for the front will be enough. If you find you need to spend time crossing high passes where you might find the wind chill requires extra warm clothing then a suitable small rack bag will also help.

On the initial question, and while accepting that a larger pannier can mean you are tempted to just permanently pack more junk, aren't those super large ortliebs made of the lighter/more flexible (but I understand from reports) tougher plus material (like my rear bikepacker pluses) and so easy to compress when the extra capacity isn't needed?

edit - folks would be right I think if they detected that I am seriously seriously tempted by the them.

Brains

Legendary Member
48L panniers should be OK,
But bring a large (c 50L) waterproof stuff sack

I always put the sleeping bag, in a waterproof stuff sack, (There is only one item that can never, ever, get wet, your sleeping bag!)
The sleeping bag, in its own waterproof stuff sack, goes inside the large stuff sack with the tent (also in a stuff sack) and the stove (in a stuff sack) and maybe some food on the rack in between the panniers.
The tent poles, are attached to the underside of the cross bar, in a specially made tent pole back with big velcro straps.
All important stuff (documents, money, camera, glasses, phone) live in the front bar bag

The panniers contain clothing, food, wash kit, and that is all.

You need the same amount of kit for 3 days on the bike as you do for 3 months.
Do not over pack, you can always buy extra items if you need them, once you are on the road.

OP
OP
eversorich

eversorich

Great advice all! I went for:

Rear panniers - Arkel Dolphin 48L
Front forks - Everything cages with 5L dry bags on each.
Handle bar bag - Ortlieb Ultimate6 7L
Frame bag - currently waiting for a slim bag from Alpkit to come back in stock for my tent poles and tools

Even though I went for bigger bags I fully intend to slim down my kit. The extra room can either be cinched down or will carry extremely light down clothing. I’ll sure be picking up some dry bags for packing sleeping bags etc.

Thanks again everyone!

Top Bottom