71 y/o Roadie died Nr Huddersfield.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gratts

Yikes, that must have been a helluva fall.
RIP.

ChrisKH

Guru
"The road was closed for at least five hours, causing tailbacks for commuters travelling to the nearby M62. "

I can't think of a better send-off for a roadie. RIP.

Joseph

fossyant said:
RIP indeed - if that's how he went...then that's how I want to go.....and at that age....

Agreed on all counts! RIP

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
fossyant said:
RIP indeed - if that's how he went...then that's how I want to go.....and at that age....
Yes, RIP of course, but I'd like to still be riding my racing bikes at an older age than that!

Hang on, I'll just dig up a letter sent by Chris Crossland, the organiser of The Other Fleet Moss Randonee in 2006... I kept the letter because it made such an impression on me at the time. TOFMR was a 200 km audax event from Halifax up into the Yorkshire Dales and back via the fringes of The Forest of Bowland.

Chris C:
  • Riders of this event will be accustomed to find me bringing noteworthy achievements to their attention, and this year is no exception... [list of achievements]... and a very hearty well done to 'D' [name withheld] who took delivery of his new Van Nicholas audax bike earlier in the week and, at the age of 77 (my emphasis) , was the senior rider, leaving many of the juniors in his wake. Some of the juniors may have noticed that he had a badly bruised left hand sustained in a cycling fall a few days earlier.Those of you left behind by 'D' may not be comforted to discover that he visited A&E the next day, where it was discovered that he had ridden the event with a broken hand.

Fleet Moss is a whacking big climb between Langstrothdale Chase (just beyond the end of Wharfedale) and Hawes in Wensleydale. It took me 75 km of chasing to finally catch 'D' and his mates, just before the summit of Fleet Moss. He was 27 years older than me, and I didn't have a broken hand...

Now if I can still be doing hilly 200s at the age of 77, even when injured, I'd settle for that ;)!

anweledig

ColinJ said:
Yes, RIP of course, but I'd like to still be riding my racing bikes at an older age than that!

Hang on, I'll just dig up a letter sent by Chris Crossland, the organiser ofThe Other Fleet Moss Randonee in 2006... I kept the letter because it made such an impression on me at the time. TOFMR was a 200 km audax event from Halifax up into the Yorkshire Dales and back via the fringes of The Forest of Bowland.

Chris C:
  • Riders of this event will be accustomed to find me bringing noteworthy achievements to their attention, and this year is no exception...
    [list of achievements]... and a very hearty well done to 'D' [name withheld] who took delivery of his new Van Nicholas audax bike earlier in the week and, at the age of 77 (my emphasis) , was the senior rider, leaving many of the juniors in his wake. Some of the juniors may have noticed that he had a badly bruised left hand sustained in a cycling fall a few days earlier.Those of you left behind by 'D' may not be comforted to discover that he visited A&E the next day, where it was discovered that he had ridden the event with a broken hand.

Fleet Moss is a whacking big climb between Langstrothdale Chase (just beyond the end of Wharfedale) and Hawes in Wensleydale. It took me 75 km of chasing to finally catch 'D' and his mates, just before the summit of Fleet Moss. He was 27 years older than me, and I didn't have a broken hand...

Now if I can still be doing hilly 200s at the age of 77, even when injured, I'd settle for that ;)!

RIP indeed, any death is a loss whether carrying out an enjoyed activity or not.

On the subject of age one of the people who inspired me to take up cycling earlier this year is in his mid 70s and cycles an 85 mile round trip twice a week to a cafe we go to (his wife, of similar age, joins him once a week). He looks about 15 years younger than his calendar age and is much fitter than I have ever been. I keep thinking that if he can do it, I ought at least to try

Plax

Guru
RIP. I cycle with a load of old fellas in the CTC (One of the youngest is 73). They are a lot more careful as apparently they dont bounce as well as they used to.

It's one of the things I love about cycling, that you can go on doing it for years, much more so than running which I also do.

I love it if driving over the Peak District I see a cyclist going up the Snake or over Chinley or Chunal and as I pass I look over and see that it's some apparently prehistoric old bloke.
Good on these guys, they're still out there, still getting up those hills.

Top Bottom