7mm Cut in Rear Tyre. What Say You?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just replace it, if you are struggling to afford a new one then ask your family if you can have one as part of your Xmas present early. Or dont use the bike till you can. Be safe, you dont want to have an accident of any kind.
I agree , i was gluing tyre and when i got around to anew one the glue had gone through the tyre and stuck the inner tube to it , fark knows how it lasted.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'd boot it and leave it on the rear, provided the boot kept the amount of bulge/casing deformation within reasonable bounds.

I use bits of old tyre as boots, and they are normally sufficient, and will also fend off anything that enters the original cut.
The only thing to watch for is that if the boot edges are left square and full thickness, the tube will eventually wear through on the boot. "Eventually" is a significant fraction of the life of the tyre IME (1/3 to 1/2, for road tyres like a gatorskin). If you don't puncture & replace the tube in that time, just move the boot round a bit.

jay clock

Massive member
Personally I think you would be mad to ride it at all front or rear. I will happily send you a tyre for free from my shed (an old Gatorskin I think) if you cannot find someone to lend you the tenner or so for an adequate short term replacement..

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Hah! The awesomeness of CC just keeps on coming. Thank you for the wisdom and kindness in the above threads. Eventually I will sort out a new tyre I promise.

For now I have fitted a boot and in doing so, it looks in pretty good nick. No bulges etc. The cut isn’t right through, unlike previous thorns have made. I also found some Lockite Super Glue ‘Power Flex’ with gel control that’s strong, precise and flexible. Or so the packaging says. When you flatten the tyre the cut shuts tight, so I might try glueing it.

Might even have snow on the 200km route on Saturday, so either way it’s going to be fun.

Re family sponsorship: My 2 relatives (my daughters) are under the legal working age so I never expect gifts from them, but if I sell one child I could probably get quite a decent tyre. I need the remaining child to do the chimneys. I also have a £10 off voucher for Tredz so long as I spend a minimum £50. That will happen after Xmas. Money isn’t completely non existent, I’m just careful. But thank you for being concerned.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Stick a boot in if the casing is damaged and showing a bulge. Otherwise it should be fine. There is, I believe, a flexible super-glue made for rubber and the like.

Is the boot stuck to the tyre (with glue) or just held in by the pressure of the innertube ?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hah! The awesomeness of CC just keeps on coming. Thank you for the wisdom and kindness in the above threads. Eventually I will sort out a new tyre I promise.

For now I have fitted a boot and in doing so, it looks in pretty good nick. No bulges etc. The cut isn’t right through, unlike previous thorns have made. I also found some Lockite Super Glue ‘Power Flex’ with gel control that’s strong, precise and flexible. Or so the packaging says. When you flatten the tyre the cut shuts tight, so I might try glueing it.

Might even have snow on the 200km route on Saturday, so either way it’s going to be fun.

Re family sponsorship: My 2 relatives (my daughters) are under the legal working age so I never expect gifts from them, but if I sell one child I could probably get quite a decent tyre. I need the remaining child to do the chimneys. I also have a £10 off voucher for Tredz so long as I spend a minimum £50. That will happen after Xmas. Money isn’t completely non existent, I’m just careful. But thank you for being concerned.
I must introduce your concept tp my wife , she is of the " money in bank = spend it " mentality

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Is the boot stuck to the tyre (with glue) or just held in by the pressure of the innertube ?

I had a Park Tool boot from a ‘package’ of tyre repair bits. They are like very thin credit cards with a sticky backing. First time I’ve used one. Previously I have used part of a plastic toothpaste tube which I didn’t stick in and it worked very well.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
As MJR suggested, a blob of shoe goo will fill that slit easily. Best done when the tyre is inflated though as while it is rubbery it'll peel if under too much strain.
I used it on a vittoria randonneur (sp?) with a similar sized cut a few years ago. The tyre did another year or so of on and off road miles with no further issues and was only replaced when I wanted bigger less harsh tyres.
Speaking of which...
I've a pair of Vittoria Hyper Voyagers in 700x35c size which have about 2000 miles on them if you want them. Again, only replaced because I wanted the bigger 40c versions. Still a couple thousand miles left on them if you want them.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
As MJR suggested, a blob of shoe goo will fill that slit easily. Best done when the tyre is inflated though as while it is rubbery it'll peel if under too much strain.
I used it on a vittoria randonneur (sp?) with a similar sized cut a few years ago. The tyre did another year or so of on and off road miles with no further issues and was only replaced when I wanted bigger less harsh tyres.
Speaking of which...
I've a pair of Vittoria Hyper Voyagers in 700x35c size which have about 2000 miles on them if you want them. Again, only replaced because I wanted the bigger 40c versions. Still a couple thousand miles left on them if you want them.

You are a star and thank you for the offer. I’m going to go with it and see if my tlc works. I love learning the hard way. My nature I’m afraid.

I have had an increase come through from one of my gardens, so I’ll be in a better place in early 2018. I have taken some measurements of the cut and I’ll see how the tyre looks after tomorrow’s ride.

Thanks everyone.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Just some feedback: The tyre got me round a 205km Audax with 2500m climbing. Lots of ice (one section of nearly half a km of sheet which brought some riders down) lots of debris, mud and salt grit. It was average -2’c with a minimum of -6’c so it was tough for anyone. Man or machine. We rode in many hours of darkness and no one wants to deal with mechanicals when a warm pub is the Arrivée.

I doubt patches would have bonded in such low temperatures so I had spare inner tubes. But nothing happened so kudos again to Schwalbe Durano for being fantastic winter tyres.

Top Bottom