7mm Cut in Rear Tyre. What Say You?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I picked up a fairly sturdy shard of glass a few weeks ago in my REAR tyre. The result was a cut 7mm long and you can just see the cotton (?) beading of the tyre. It DID NOT puncture.

This cut is on one of my Schwalbe Durano tyres, which are on my Audax bike that I’m taking on a 200km event on Saturday. For a number of reasons I can’t replace it quite yet, so in the interim shall I swap it to the front and make a tyre boot for it? Or fill it? Or what? I’ve been using it on my bike trainer for about 175km and all is ok. That’s not real world use I appreciate.

They are 700x32 and I run them at 70-75psi only. I’m not concerned about the inner tube bulging out (although it could eventually) but rather picking up grit that will work into the cut and cause a flat.

What would you suggest? Many thanks as always.

Sharky

Guru
Try the superglue trick on the cut.

A bit wary of putting it on the front. If it pops on the front, it's going to be harder to control. Best to leave on the back.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A front wheel blowout definitely IS more scary than a rear one. I have had a few sudden tyre deflations over the years and have nearly always fallen off when it was the front tyre which went. I have managed to stay on the bike when the rear went.

As for using superglue on tyre cuts ... I did that on a cycling holiday in Spain once. I had run over some glass and cut a new tyre. I was reluctant to bin a tyre with less than 100 miles use so I glued the cut shut. I did a long day in the mountains including a long final descent at speeds topping well over 80 km/h. Some unfenced bends were on the edge of deep ravines. Next day, somebody pointed to the front tyre before our ride started - the cut had ripped open and the tube was ballooning through it, ready to explode. :eek: I don't glue tyre cuts now!

Drago

Legendary Member
Fill the cut with Sikaflex EBT.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Thank you very much. My thinking was that there is less weight in the front and I guess in my positive frame of mind, I didn’t consider a blow out.

I’ll leave it on the back and boot it for now. I like the idea of glueing it shut but completely understand I could just be moulding a cast in the shape of a sharp shard by using super glue. I’ll have a look around for some more malleable glues in my stash.

I’ve got some really high quality wood glue but I might just use that to keep my ginger nuts in one piece in my saddle bag.

I’ll keep an eye on the state of the cut too. January sales soon for a new tyre methinks.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I think if you're doing 200k audaxes (and further idc?) then you owe yourself a better tyre than the Durano. I've linked a comparison with two others below.

Compare/continental-grand-prix-4-season-2015-vs-michelin-pro-4-endurance-v2-2015-vs-schwalbe-durano-2015

The Michelin is £7 more than at @vickster 's Durano link above but you can expect far lower rolling resistance and much better sidewall protection. Currently I have 4637km on my Pro4 SC on the rear, and looks like I could get the same again, which is excellent (and the Endurance V2 are meant to be better). I shall probably replace my Pro4 SC (before its time) with the Endurance V2 before the next long audax (?Porkers 400).
They're now making the Endurance V2 in 28-622 and since the 25s they tested measured as 28mm wide, it's reasonable to assume that the 28s will be not far off the width of your current 32-622 Duranos.
Enjoy the Abbeys and Roads on Saturday.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
@Ajax Bay I literally wore through 25mm Pro 4 Endurance tyres in around 2000 miles. They rolled nicely but certainly weren’t puncture proof. They were V1s, as good as the V2s

The Duranos work well on my CX

Depends if the OP has £50 right now for 2 new tyres. Sounds like pennies aren’t plentiful or presumably he’d replace the tyre

There’s probably always a ‘better’ tyre out there esp if money a lesser consideration

Top Bottom