Sidewall "slash" cuts on rear tyre...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mazz

Hi, I've got an old Raleigh Mustang. The rear tyre (schwalbe city jet) has lots of parallel slash cuts on the sidewalls and the inner is starting to bulge through. Looks strange. They are 26x1.95" I think. I'm obviously going to replace it, but wondered if this was symptomatic of another problem. Thanks
IMG_20230428_194711.jpg

IMG_20230428_194706.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Old age ?

Ajax Bay

Guru
No Fossy's saying the 'other symptom' is "old age". To which I'd add 'been left with the tyres deflated'. Front the same or not (might have held air better). ETA: Tarp right over or has the light been on the tyres?
What horizontal tube? The chain stay?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

No Fossy's saying the 'other symptom' is "old age". To which I'd add 'been left with the tyres deflated'. Front the same or not (might have held air better).

Tyres have needed a squirt of air from time to time, but nowt out of the ordinary. Front tyre is fine (it's a different brand with traditional knobbly tread).

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

No Fossy's saying the 'other symptom' is "old age". To which I'd add 'been left with the tyres deflated'. Front the same or not (might have held air better). ETA: Tarp right over or has the light been on the tyres?
What horizontal tube? The chain stay?

Tarp completely covers bike including tyres. Sorry I don't know the name of the tube I'm referring to, but it's the one in the second picture that says "indexed gear system" on it.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

As an aside, I may decide to not only replace the tyre, but also the original now rusty chrome rim, which is over 40 years old and the equally original rear 8speed cassette. Can anyone suggest a cheap and cheerful replacement? The whole bike only cost me 20 quid second hand, so I can't complain and it's been rock solid.

Top Bottom