Sidewall "slash" cuts on rear tyre...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silva

Über Member
…..who’s powered by Monster Energy drinks ? 😉
Hey want a pic of a wooden doorpanel that cats here used to indicate they want out tha house?
And that with cheapest Aldi catfood.
To try to word it: the first scratching makes the scratch that deep. The next scratching it gets deeper. In the case of an every morning get out signaling, it takes a couple weeks to hear a big bang and see a cat that became twice as voluminous passing by.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks older than 3 years. I do notice that some Schwalbe tyres are prone to this which may be due to having very thin sidewalls, especially in the bigger sizes.
This is a a Nobby Nic I bought used, quite a lot older than yours.

IMG_20230430_144112.jpg

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Looks older than 3 years. I do notice that some Schwalbe tyres are prone to this which may be due to having very thin sidewalls, especially in the bigger sizes.
This is a a Nobby Nic I bought used, quite a lot older than yours.

View attachment 687638

Looks very similar damage to mine. I think I'll go for a narrower rim/tyre replacement.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'd say running your tyre pressure far too low - the shape of the damage describes how the tyres deform under pedalling load whilst also deflecting too much due to insufficient pressure.

I've lost a few to similiar as I'm too tight to buy a pump with a pressure gauge while evidently insufficiently-eyeballing the tyre deflection when adding air..

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Pressures certainly might have something to do with it. If you look at the tyre I posted you can see there is very little rubber on the sidewall, you can see the cotton casing through it.
No such problems with Marathons though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tarp completely covers bike including tyres. Sorry I don't know the name of the tube I'm referring to, but it's the one in the second picture that says "indexed gear system" on it.

You'll still get age issues and possibly UV under a tarp - it won't be out of some sunlight. It's a 'depends' question. I've had tyres fall to bits on a bike stored in the garage (premium super fast ones), but still have tyres hung up in my garage that I use in winter only, that are over 10 years old - used for a few months at a time, then stored).

Difficult to say, but UV is a tyre killer.

Has the bike been used this time - you should have spotted it, or is it stored ?

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Has the bike been used this time - you should have spotted it, or is it stored ?

Dunno how long the damage has been there. Only noticed it when I was about to lock it up in town. I use it a couple of times a week for short journeys less than say 10 miles.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

PS For reference what is the name of that tube I referred to earlier? Can anyone tell me?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Am dead surprised that a 40 year old rim is laced to a freehub (ie one that can take a cassette (8sp)).
Yes: freewheel. https://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html
So the next thing you need to check is the OLD: the distance between the dropouts. It will be 126mm or 130mm. You need this info to inform replacement wheel selection. Wheel will need to be that distance from one lock nut to the other (not that easy to measure btw).
Your local recycling centre or charity bike repair centre will have several 26" (aka MTB) freewheel hubbed wheels (nutted like yours or QR) likely with a perfectly good tyre on - for less than the cost of a replacement tyre.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

UPDATE: I have a replacement rear wheel on order, so thanks for your help on that one.

ALSO: Dunno if this should be a different thread, but on the same bike, the pedals are worn out, won't spin by hand and they make a continuous crunching noise when ridden. I imagine replacements of this type are readily available, just wondering if they are a standard fit or if I need to take any measurements before sourcing replacements. Thanks.
IMG_20230507_172859.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Makes a crunching sound, that's a surprise :laugh:.
No, that's a standard road pedal. The only variant is the small thread on kids bikes AFAIK.
Decathlon do some quite good budget 'rat trap' pedals or try Halfords.
Remember when removing and fitting the LH has reverse thread The pedals are marked L and R.
Start them off by hand. 15mm spanner
Good luck

Top Bottom