8 speed chain through 10 speed front mech?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Bit of an oddball one, this.

The sora front mech on my winter bike has fossilised and will not change gear, or indeed move at all. I have a 10 speed 105 front mech in the bits bin. Will 8 speed chain run through it OK, or will I be trimming it continually as I change up and down the cassette?
Or shall I just throw a single chainring on and have done with it?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You have of course tried liberal apps of 3-in-1, 24 hrs for easing its way in, then a bit of brute force as necessary...?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Hammers are good - big hammers especially. I'm not sure about the WD-40 tho'...I've always thought of it more as a water-repellent than a lube. I'd be inclined to at least have a try with the 3-in1+24hrs...probably won't work, but you never know, and what've you got to lose?

GrahamG

Guru
Then heat it up!

On the 10 spd mech + 8 sp chain front, I've done it on a shimano double set up and it was fine with just a little extra rub to factor in when trimming. For a triple i just wouldn't go there unless it was with campag or friction shifters so that it's easy to trim.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
When I was changing over slowly over a month from 8 Speed Tiagra/Sora to 10 speed Dura-Ace, that was one of my biggest grippes, and yes it works, but I didnt like it. I didnt like the rub and with pressure chain slip too..

The differances in width is marginal, but, tbh, it does make a differance, and I did get miffed off with the trimming, but tbh, ild spend £10-£15 on ebay..

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
TheDoctor said:
I would, but I need to be up and running by Sunday...

Ahhhh!! ;)

gbb

Legendary Member
TheDoctor said:
Bit of an oddball one, this.

The sora front mech on my winter bike has fossilised and will not change gear, or indeed move at all. I have a 10 speed 105 front mech in the bits bin. Will 8 speed chain run through it OK, or will I be trimming it continually as I change up and down the cassette?
Or shall I just throw a single chainring on and have done with it?

This is so common on my winter bike with Sora, its guaranteed to happen every winter, without fail.
Quick and simple fix fortunately...
(assuming 8 speed) there's a dome head bolt facing the rear wheel, at the point the whole mech pivots.
Loosen (not remove) that bolt and get some WD or similar into the bolt/pivot. Waggle the mech pivot about a bit, it always frees up. Re-tighten the bolt.

Ought to be a sticky about this :laugh: ive done it so many times. Maybe one day i'll get some better lube in there and maybe it'll stop it being an annual occurence.

Top Bottom