85% home distilled Polish Spirit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
....here's one that I made a while back
View attachment 123170

...it's called Yadong, and is regarded as a cheap way to get rat-arsed. A bag of spiced herbs are but in the jar, then pour in some local Lao Khao (rice whiskey). Leave for a week or so to ferment then taste at your peril - wouldn't call it a 'session' drink. This one's been brewing now for several years, not sure if I dare try it any more - just for show really......

Get it supped!:cheers:

lutonloony

Über Member
Don't HMRC tend to frown upon home distilleries?
Only if they find out

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Used to be an old fella lived up the road from me had a still, anytime he had a batch of wine that wasn't up to much he would whack it through the still. Mind you he had a heck of a lot of wine on the go, he had probably 3-400 demijohns at various stages of fermentation/clearing in the house/cellar.
Used to grow nearly all his own vegetables/fruit and hunt most of the meat he ate too (Rabbit Pheasant etc) and kept a few Chickens and as for fish, his Son owned the Trout Farm out near Ullesthorpe/ Leire.

Last edited:
U

User482

View attachment 123170

...it's called Yadong, and is regarded as a cheap way to get rat-arsed. A bag of spiced herbs are but in the jar, then pour in some local Lao Khao (rice whiskey). Leave for a week or so to ferment then taste at your peril - wouldn't call it a 'session' drink. This one's been brewing now for several years, not sure if I dare try it any more - just for show really......

I've had Lao Khao. It smelt of meths...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wouldn't it be simpler just to freeze a bottle of wine and pour out the un-frozen alcohol?

The dangers of distillation in non-flameproof premises: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...l-during-illegal-vodka-brewing-operation.html

Need to remove the glass aspect - just pour homebrew into heavy duty plastic bag - seal the top and put in freezer - pour off and add flavouring of choice - works best as a liqueur style thing - even easier is to buy pure reagent alcohol (bit stressful carting it home in the boot of the car in 40° temperatures - risk of explosion and getting stopped by Kuwaiti police ), cut it down to drinkable strength and add whisky or gin flavouring - best results we found were obtained by adding a 13th of a bottle of real gin to a bottle of 70 proof - flash and tonic with ice and lemon at the end of a dusty day goes down very well - but I have never touched gin since leaving the ME

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja

Tim Hall

View attachment 123170

Surely it won't ferment, as the yeast gets killed by the alcohol at around 15% abv or so, IIRC (hence distilling and fortified wine in the first place)? It'll flavour the Lao Khao for sure, but fermentation implies a carbohydrate to alcohol reaction.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Yes, the Trangia does run nicely on it, and you don't have to get rid of the red dragon (meths) at the start. You can make the fuel with sugar and yeast most easily, just takes time, water, sugar, and yeast. If you want to increase the proof of an alcohol, just add salt to the current product, which will leach into the water and make salt water, which then sinks to the bottom of the solution. The salting out process does require further distillation to remove the salt, if you are using it in a drink instead of a stove, and find the salt residue a problem. You can also use it to dehydrate isopropyl, so you can use it to rid pets of fleas, or use it in a car for windshield washer fluid, or what have you.

Top Bottom