85% home distilled Polish Spirit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Surely it won't ferment, as the yeast gets killed by the alcohol at around 15% abv or so, IIRC (hence distilling and fortified wine in the first place)? It'll flavour the Lao Khao for sure, but fermentation implies a carbohydrate to alcohol reaction.

There won't be any fermentation going on in this, but you can get over 15% these days. White Labs sell a high gravity yeast which they say will get you to 25%!

As punishment you'll have to drink a glass, down in one.

giphy.gif

Wouldn't it be simpler just to freeze a bottle of wine and pour out the un-frozen alcohol?
I don't think that would work. I had a bottle of vodka in the freezer, and that became oily. No ice formed from the 55% water. Similarly with fortified wine, that was like a rich slurpee.

I once accidentally froze a bottle of wine, that turned into a giant popsicle the broke the bottle. Binned it, of course, but I don't remember there being a puddle of pure alcohol in the freezer.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Heat the alcohol and water mix, whatever that might be, to 177 degrees. Alcohol boils at that point. First, you want to heat to 155 for a while, to boil off your methanol, or red dragon, or snake juice, or blindy. Put this in your Trangia for fuel, it's just like fuel for Drag Racers. Then heat up to about 177, and boil off your alcohol after cleaning your still, that'll be your run. What's left will be your water and trace elements. That's how I recall the making of it. I could be wrong on a few counts here.

U

User169

I don't think that would work. I had a bottle of vodka in the freezer, and that became oily. No ice formed from the 55% water. Similarly with fortified wine, that was like a rich slurpee.

I once accidentally froze a bottle of wine, that turned into a giant popsicle the broke the bottle. Binned it, of course, but I don't remember there being a puddle of pure alcohol in the freezer.

It does work. Eisbocks are made this way. Brewdog sell a beer which is about 40% using ab industrial ice cream maker.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
....sorry, I'm probably not using the correct jargon, just something I had a go at for a bit of fun......
Steeping flavouring in gin or vodka, with sugar to taste, is a pretty effective way of getting a rather nice liqueur or flavoured spirit.

I'd have thought that as long as you value time at more than about a fifth of minimum wage distilling your own isn't a very cost-effective way of getting spirits in this country. Own-brand vodka or gin costs about £15 a litre and is just as effective at getting you drunk as a home-distilled spirit which will take hours of effort - more if you brew the alochol from scratch.

Bodhbh

Guru
Wouldn't it be simpler just to freeze a bottle of wine and pour out the un-frozen alcohol?

You distill booze, it removes ethanol it from the rest of the gunk...sugar, flavour compounds, bad alcohols.

You chill it, it removes the water via freezing and leaves the rest with the ethanol. You have 20% sickly sweet hangover water. And it's not very efficient at partitioning the water and alcohol and you loose alot.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Good thing there aren't any HMRC inspectors on cyclechat, and that this is a top-secret private thread not visible to the general public then.
Does anybody know how many prosecutions are brought against DIY/personal use distillers in a typical year ? I have no idea, but I have not seen any mention of them in the media. Skunk seems a far more popular target.

Top Bottom