9 month baby in trailer???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kimpower_1

hello all I am new to this forum so bear with me

I own a double trailer (knowing we would have more children in the future) and used it with my 3 year old son strapped in the middle and he loved it and so did I now have a extra addition to the family and she’s now 9 months old and after pregnancy I am thinking of going back out on the bike with the trailer since my partner works ill need them with me. I am just wondering what the age children have to be to go in the trailer my son is 4 years old now and my daughter is 9 months old, would I need one of them baby seats in it? and wear would I get baby helmets from?
hope you can help because I really need to start getting fit again since pregnancy.

hear is the link so you no wich trailer it is http://www.amazon.co.uk/KRANICH-6650...2444764&sr=1-6

Kimberley :thumbsup:

OP
OP
kimpower_1

kimpower_1

well shes 10 months in 2 days

OP
OP
kimpower_1

kimpower_1

So would you recommend me buy a baby seat for in the trailer for her? She is fine sitting up on her own and crawl/climes everywhere now. Just hope she doesn’t wriggle herself into a awkward position or try and take her helmet off lol

kim :-)

Night Train

Maker of Things
In my experience child seats are ok as long as the 4 year old is fairly well behaved.
I had a 4 year old in a seat behind me and she had a habit of waiting until I was just cornering and she would throw all her weight into the bend. Usually it just made me loose control for a while and weave a bit but a couple of times she managed to tip the bike over leaving me dancing around on one leg with the bike on its side and her head inches from the ground. She thought it was a great laugh. I refused to carry her after that, too dangerous for both of us.

02GF74

Über Member
no idea but I would suggest you fit mirrors so you can see what is happening to baby in the back, perhaps even an intercomm.?

PrettyboyTim

If you could find some way of securing a car seat inside, that might do the job, although I suspect it'll be a bit of a squeeze for your older child. I have almost exactly the same trailer, although I only carry my four year old son in it.

Thinking of my trailer, I'm not sure how you'd firmly secure a child seat to stop it from shifting from side to side. In the case of an accident you'd not want it squashing your son.

gkerr4

i have to say that I wouldn't do it

a bike trailer isn't a car - it vibrates and jumps about over bumps and irregularities in the surface - i dread to think what vibration is passed through to the children - it would be like shaking them IMO

it's your decision - they're your kids - but personally I think 9months is too young. My youngest is two in february, my eldest 5yrs - i think the earliest I started them in (rented) trailers at centre parcs or (owned) rear seats was around 18months - by that point they had been walking for around 6 months and and are much more sturdy and resilient.

OP
OP
kimpower_1

kimpower_1

Well our car seat is quiet big and ill probably have to go out and buy some Bungy straps if my man's parents don’t have any but ill have to have a go with the seat in first and see if there’s room for Harry to go in with it. I wouldn’t be going our for hole days with it will probably just be used to go to friends houses/shops/school and back (so ill be off the roads and only going on pavements and bike pavements). And yeah I was thinking about getting some of them mirrors to see them :biggrin:.

I was looking on youtube to try and see what age the kids are when there in the trailers and I was shocked to see very young baby’s in it and with no helmets and no car seat (looked from about 2 or 3 months old in it) but that was mostly people form America.

Iv just had a go with Emily in a old helmet I found in the shed from when harry was in the trailer and I didn’t realize the sizes changed so it goes down to her size. she likes playing with it but hates it on her head and keeps trying to pull it off :biggrin: but would I really need them when only riding on the pavements?? Plus with it being cold out might be hard putting hats on then helmets. ??

Thanks everyone

Arch

Married to Night Train
gkerr4 said:
i have to say that I wouldn't do it

a bike trailer isn't a car - it vibrates and jumps about over bumps and irregularities in the surface - i dread to think what vibration is passed through to the children - it would be like shaking them IMO

What sort of pram/pushchair did you have then, that had car quality suspension?

Pushing my nephew about in his pushchair at that age, he seemed to actually like the ridged bits at the kerb of ped crossings and didn't seem to suffer from my rather inept attempts to get him up and down kerbs and steps...

Arch

Married to Night Train
kimpower_1 said:
I was looking on youtube to try and see what age the kids are when there in the trailers and I was shocked to see very young baby’s in it and with no helmets and no car seat (looked from about 2 or 3 months old in it) but that was mostly people form America.

As risk of opening a can of worms, would a helmet be any good? I doubt you'd get them that small, and if you did, they'd probably give the baby a cricked neck, and we don't expect babies to wear helmets in prams and the like, do we? If the baby is supported well enough, and strapped in, I don't think a helmet is much use.

OP
OP
kimpower_1

kimpower_1

Thanks arch, Emily also like bumps in her buggy and loves going round in the round roundabout and she loves getting frown up in the air by her daddy so im sure riding in a trailer will be fine for her.

Top Bottom