90 miles a day for 3 days... How to recover after each ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Don't do anything on the event that you haven't already tried.

Re drinks, I use a powdered sports drink that supposedly has carbs and electrolytes and whatnot.

The main reason I use this and not, say, squash is because it comes in powder form so I can carry some with me for when I refill my bottle with water, meaning I have a constant supply of something that I know I like. (which also has carbs etc)

OP
OP
PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy

Got back from the ride yesterday. I did it! Apart from being ultra slow on hills, 3 punctures and a brief ride in the medic van due to mild heat exhaustion, it was mainly a smooth ride. It wound up being 95 miles day 1, 115 day 2 and 113 on day 3, so longer than expected. What I learned:
  • The middle of the peloton makes it possible for me to keep up with the stronger riders.
  • I'm much better at riding at a lower cadence in a harder gear. Spinning in an easy gear just wears me right out.
  • Day 1, and the first hours of Day 2 and Day 3 are the hardest, but once you get moving it's great.
  • Clif Blok is incredible stuff.
  • Cheese and tomato baguettes are my refuel of choice.
  • I never want to eat another cake or Haribo ever again.
Thanks for all the great advice!

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Got back from the ride yesterday. I did it!

Well done!

I'm just back from a multi-day long-distance event myself and learnt a few more useful tips along the way.

Best thing I learnt is that nuts are brilliant ride food. Among the offerings at feed stations were little bags of pistachios, and Rude Health peanut bars. Those were the two things I kept going back to for the duration of the event (OK, those and the pork pies.)

OP
OP
PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy

Are you ok? You're speaking gibberish. This makes no sense. Medic! MEDIC!

(congrats!)

A few days have gone by and fortunately it was only temporary. I can now consider cake. :rofl:

Top Bottom