90 miles a day for 3 days... How to recover after each ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PoisonIvy

I'm doing a 3 day supported ride from London to Paris in mid September. I started training in earnest in early June, being new to long distance cycling. So pretty much started from next to zero. I'm also carrying a couple stone more than I should be, though this has shrunken over the past couple of months. :dance:

Anyway, I'm up to an easy paced 80-90 miles on my big weekend rides now. I try to get in some hills on these rides (I'm rubbish on them). A couple of weeks ago I did 80 miles, then felt OK on my 20 mile ride the following day, but this weekend I did 90 and felt knackered the next day and did nothing (in my defence I have a friend visiting so used that as an excuse not to get out again this weekend but I'm not sure I could have got back on the bike regardless).

I'm worried about doing three days in a row. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should be doing in terms of cooling down/nutrition/warming up to ensure that days 2 and 3 of this trip are not only doable, but enjoyable?

What other training should I get in during these final weeks? I also do a spinning class 1-2x a week, yoga 1x week, and resistance training 2x week. I commute 15 miles round trip 3x a week, and get in a 25 mile ride one evening in addition to the weekend rides.

Last edited:

S-Express

Lots of unrelated exercise there. I would drop that and start getting your body used to doing big rides on consecutive days.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Nutrition-wise, lots of protein immediately post ride.

Cooling down-wise, stretches can be beneficial after the ride - mainly calves and quads.

Don't worry about the hills - as long as it's not a race, just take your time with them, get in an easy gear and just twiddle up them.

What speed do you ride your 90 mile rides at? What is the minimum speed requirement on the London to Paris? Can you afford to take it easier?
On his annual mileage record attempt, Steve Abraham used a heart rate monitor to make sure he didn't expend too much effort per day, so he was able to repeat the effort the next day. Obviously what he was doing was on a totally different scale, but the same principle applies.

You'll probably find that you ride to the occasion anyway and will manage to do more than you thought possible.

OP
OP
PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy

What speed do you ride your 90 mile rides at? What is the minimum speed requirement on the London to Paris? Can you afford to take it easier?

Strava is telling me I'm averaging about 13mph, and we're meant to be doing about 12mph on the ride. There's 40 in the group so if I get behind some stronger riders maybes I'll find the going a bit easier? Looking at flat segments, I tend to do about 14-16 mph. I'm definitely the slow lardy one on the hills so I guess that brings my average speed down.

The other exercise is what I was doing normally prior to signing up for this. So I should drop that and just concentrate on long consecutive rides? I've got a couple of back-to-back rides planned for this week and next and then I was planning to taper off the week before the ride.

I do find it a struggle to eat during the rides. At the cake stop I could barely finish a small chicken sandwich.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Strava is telling me I'm averaging about 13mph, and we're meant to be doing about 12mph on the ride. There's 40 in the group so if I get behind some stronger riders maybes I'll find the going a bit easier? Looking at flat segments, I tend to do about 14-16 mph. I'm definitely the slow lardy one on the hills so I guess that brings my average speed down.

Yes, riding in a group will definitely be beneficial.

I think you'll be fine. Good luck!

PK99

Legendary Member
What other training should I get in during these final weeks? I also do a spinning class 1-2x a week, yoga 1x week, and resistance training 2x week. I commute 15 miles round trip 3x a week, and get in a 25 mile ride one evening in addition to the weekend rides.

Less!

With that volume over rather than under training is more likely!

And don't do long rides and hills together. Focus on each separately then put together layer. If you combine to early you miss out on the training benefit of both.

Nutrition-wise, lots of protein immediately post ride.
Post ride nutrition, I'd focus on simple carbs - sugar and white bread, or cakes or biscuits. You're not going to build or lose much muscle in 3 days, but your muscles store carbs in the form of glycogen, and you have a short window after exercise when it's easier to replenish it, after that it takes 24 to 48 hours replenish. This partly explains why your legs can feel like lead the day after exercise.
I do find it a struggle to eat during the rides. At the cake stop I could barely finish a small chicken sandwich.

Ah, sister! I have this same problem. I don't feel hungry on rides, and have trouble forcing food down. Most people can't understand this; they eat when they feel hungry and sleep like a log when they are tired. I do neither. The good news is, if you can do 80 miles you will get through this. You will only be spending less than 10 hours on the bike, that leaves you 14 hours for rest and recuperation.

I learned the hard way that while I have a sweet tooth, I don't on the bike. So now I carry chorizo and pick&mix cheese on long rides. Bizarre, and not nutritionally sound, but I can eat it and it keeps me going.

My biggest challenge was riding about twice as far a day as you, with trouble eating, and sleeping. I still made it through 4 days (720 miles) before I ran out of puff. Even if you have trouble eating (and sleeping, hopefully that's only me) you will get through this, and the sign welcoming to Ille de France, and the first crossing of the Seine will fill your heart with joy, even if you haven't eaten or slept much in the last few days.

(I did a solo L->P a couple of years ago, taking a shorter route)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Post ride nutrition, I'd focus on simple carbs - sugar and white bread, or cakes or biscuits. You're not going to build or lose much muscle in 3 days, but your muscles store carbs in the form of glycogen, and you have a short window after exercise when it's easier to replenish it, after that it takes 24 to 48 hours replenish. This partly explains why your legs can feel like lead the day after exercise.

Having thought about this some more, I would revise my earlier advice. I still think a good portion of protein is valuable post ride for aiding muscle recovery but I agree with you that replenishing your glycogen stores is perhaps more useful in the short term.

Really you just want to make sure you have a healthy, well balanced meal. It's perhaps easier to say what not to eat/drink - avoiding alcohol would be the most obvious one. It has no nutritional value and will slow down your body's recovery.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'm doing a 3 day supported ride from London to Paris in mid September. I started training in earnest in early June, being new to long distance cycling. So pretty much started from next to zero. I'm also carrying a couple stone more than I should be, though this has shrunken over the past couple of months. :dance:

Anyway, I'm up to an easy paced 80-90 miles on my big weekend rides now. I try to get in some hills on these rides (I'm rubbish on them). A couple of weeks ago I did 80 miles, then felt OK on my 20 mile ride the following day, but this weekend I did 90 and felt knackered the next day and did nothing (in my defence I have a friend visiting so used that as an excuse not to get out again this weekend but I'm not sure I could have got back on the bike regardless).

I'm worried about doing three days in a row. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should be doing in terms of cooling down/nutrition/warming up to ensure that days 2 and 3 of this trip are not only doable, but enjoyable?

Relax.

It will be fine.

If its an organised ride, its likely a firm like DA. The pace will be slow enough to cater for all. You wont need nutrition, or special recovery methods.

As @Milkfloat says, a beer and a meal is all you'll need.

Take your time and don't stress over performance or recovery.

Check out the numerous blogs in the touring section, my London to Paris is there along with a few other relevant riders .

If they choose an approach to the centre of Paris, from the west, through the parks...you will ride about 3 miles through town in a very quiet route

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

The other exercise is what I was doing normally prior to signing up for this. So I should drop that and just concentrate on long consecutive rides? I've got a couple of back-to-back rides planned for this week and next and then I was planning to taper off the week before the ride.

Honestly at 13mph, you'll ace this.

Chill, its a great ride, enjoy the journey

You are ready.

If you get comfort from feeling prepared then perhaps check out the training notes in my lejog ride

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lands-end-to-john-ogroats.155855/

And for a step by step of a London to Paris ride

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/london-to-paris-day-one-unlucky-13.165730/

But I can promise you that I have ridden over many days with riders who literally just turned up. Take it at your own pace and you will be just fine.

Last edited:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Having thought about this some more, I would revise my earlier advice. I still think a good portion of protein is valuable post ride for aiding muscle recovery but I agree with you that replenishing your glycogen stores is perhaps more useful in the short term.

Really you just want to make sure you have a healthy, well balanced meal. It's perhaps easier to say what not to eat/drink - avoiding alcohol would be the most obvious one. It has no nutritional value and will slow down your body's recovery.
The alcohol thing is a good point.

Whilst I always enjoy a few beers after a days ride...many wont.

Its good advice to steer clear but I would say that if you are a person who enjoys a drink after a ride, or with an evening meal, don't be too strict on yourself.

Also on the point of eating I'm just like you I don't eat well when exercising especially if its warm. If its an organised ride, they will have all the right foods that you will be able to stomach. I have quite a bad relationship with jelly babies after spending a good deal of time in their company.

OP
OP
PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy

Thanks for all the replies! It's helping with the pre ride jitters.

I do like the sound of chorizo and cheese as fuel. I'm definitely more able to stomach savoury than sweet. Good thing I'll be going through cheese country. Wine will be much harder to avoid - I do like a glass or three after a ride, but I've decided to abstain until we're actually in Paris. I think that may actually be more difficult than the ride itself. (I'm only half kidding when I say that.) I can certainly get down with eating loads of bread.

Maybe I could load up my water bottles with squash and electrolyte tabs for the carbs? I also was given a bit of Kendal mint cake when I got a little lightheaded on the 90 miler on Saturday. That sorted me right out.

I'll check out the blogs. At this point I am obsessively reading other people's trip diaries, researching nutrition, and drooling over cycle gear.

Top Bottom