!963 Woodrup Frame.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I picked this 1963 frame up at a car boot sale today, I couldn't resist the fancy lug work, I was also supposed to be selling stuff but you have got to have a wander round.
The person selling the frame said that it was from 1963 and that it has had a bit of a lumpy re spray, he also pointed out the fancy lug work on the inside of the top fork leg. There are a few minor dents in the frame and there are signs of some pitting on the frame underneath the paint. The frame is 21 1/2 inch.
IMGP3115.JPG
IMGP3119.JPG

Drago

Legendary Member
Blimey, I should get my butler to go to some car boot sales.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Today's bit of tinkering started off well with a bit of wet flatting some of the lumpy paintwork on the front forks with 800 and then 1200 followed by some polishing with G3. I tried the same thing on the crossbar which had some pits and went through to the primer.
I decided to try to fit the bottom bracket by first of all screwing in the drive side cup, this went in easily until I noticed that it wasn't going in square. I tried again and again but it still wouldn't go in straight. I took the cup out and examined the thread inside the frame, there was an area where the threads looked a bit mangled. Perhaps this is why the frame had been sold. The other cup on the other side is fine.
I had a look for a frame number stamped on the bottom bracket but due to the thick paintwork I could only make out Nervex and a single letter near the edge of the bracket.

davidphilips

Veteran
If you can not get threads repaired consider a threadless bottom bracket.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKDwRPxkM-0

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Email Woodrups with frame No. They are great guys and will be able to give you some history on the build.
All I can find is a single letter. I took it over to Lacock to show the frame to my brother and we compared it to his Holdsworth Monsoon. The Woodrup has got very spindly rear stays, they look a bit like twigs in comparison to his Holdsworth's.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
sure mine had a 5 digit number
What year is yours?
The paint on the frame is thick, I can make out the name Nervex and a very blurry number underneath that and to the left of that next to the bearing cup is a capital ' F'.
I am beginning to wonder what is underneath the thick paint, especially where it looks pitted. The finish feels like 2 pack.
I will see if I can resolve the bearing cap issue first before going any further, it would have been nice to have been able to put some parts on it today to see what it looked like.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Mine is 1973 confirmed by Woodrups as below

" Hi Martin,"

"2071 was built by Steve Woodrup sometime in the early 70s [possibly 1973?] Tubing will be Reynolds 531c. Campagnolo track dropouts."

"Think I saw this on eBay recently, nice track frame."

i just e mailed them via the contacts page on the website and got a reply from a chap called Kevin who is quite active on Facebook

Last edited:
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Thanks for the info, all I can go by is what I was told by the seller and that it was a Woodrup made in 1963. The brazing on the frame is really good and it has fancy little touches like on the rear brake bridge and inside of the front fork.
I find that the respray on the frame seems odd in that they have left a dent and pitting yet the finish is really good with no dry areas and paint in all the nooks and crannies.
I will try to contact Woodrup with some pictures to see if they recognise it.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
It seems to be a bit of a mystery. I was given the information that the frame number could be stamped on the forks up inside the steerer tube, so last night I removed the forks to find the centre section had been painted. This morning I set about removing the paint with a scraper and sander, no number so I had a go at the bottom bracket with a similar result apart from the letter F and what might be an arrow.
The frame looks like it is well made and weighs just over 4lbs minus the forks
IMGP3166.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP3168.JPG
    IMGP3168.JPG
    264 KB · Views: 75
  • IMGP3167.JPG
    IMGP3167.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 70
Top Bottom