!963 Woodrup Frame.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I was beginning to think I had got the name wrong or maybe imagined it so I rang up the chap that sold it to me and he confirmed that it was a 1963 Maurice Woodrup.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Yes and no, but perhaps in reverse order. The first thing will be to try to sort out the drive side thread and then assemble it to give it a road test.
I did see that one on eBay, I've been trawling the net to see if I can find a similar looking bike. The trouble is if it was made to order then it might not match any other examples.
I will have to get a new seat post as all of the ones that I have will just drop down inside. Whilst searching for any other frame numbers I got the chance to examine the build quality and it looks really good. I think I can also rule out the possibility of there being any other numbers being stamped on the bottom bracket as the thickness of the paint wouldn't be enough to hide them. I only managed to find what looks like an arrow and a capital F.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Here are some of the frame details.
IMGP3116.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP3117.JPG
    IMGP3117.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMGP3118.JPG
    IMGP3118.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I had a bit of a success today with the bottom bracket. The drive side had been cross threaded and no matter how I tried it kept on going in that way. I was given a quote of £ 90 to have it reamed out and a new sleeve fitted but I thought I would have another attempt before spending that much.
I bought a VP sealed bearing unit from Halfords with the intention of fitting the non drive side in first and using that to centralise the drive side and then use that to clean up the thread. I made sure that the bearing had located in the left hand cup and then tried drive side cup in, it bit and then I was able to start to screw it in. My brother checked that it was going in square using a Vernier to check the gap all round. So with some 3 in 1 we worked the cup back and forth slowly and got the drive side cup in.
We fitted the chain wheel and checked that with the Vernier whilst rotating it and it was running true. I fitted some wheels, the Campag Gran Sport, some handlebars and a saddle just
IMGP3194.JPG
to see what it looked like.

Attachments

• IMGP3150.JPG
    IMGP3150.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMGP3198 (2).JPG
    IMGP3198 (2).JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 77

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I had a bit of a success today with the bottom bracket. The drive side had been cross threaded and no matter how I tried it kept on going in that way. I was given a quote of £ 90 to have it reamed out and a new sleeve fitted but I thought I would have another attempt before spending that much.
I bought a VP sealed bearing unit from Halfords with the intention of fitting the non drive side in first and using that to centralise the drive side and then use that to clean up the thread. I made sure that the bearing had located in the left hand cup and then tried drive side cup in, it bit and then I was able to start to screw it in. My brother checked that it was going in square using a Vernier to check the gap all round. So with some 3 in 1 we worked the cup back and forth slowly and got the drive side cup in.
We fitted the chain wheel and checked that with the Vernier whilst rotating it and it was running true. I fitted some wheels, the Campag Gran Sport, some handlebars and a saddle just View attachment 346922 to see what it looked like.
Looking good.:okay:

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Thanks, it is starting to come together. I will leave that bottom bracket assembly in , I was going to put an old type in but now that it is done why bother for the moment.
I am starting to make a list of parts. I thought that I would use a pair of my GB Synchrons which came off of my 1967 Sun Mist. I may rob the handlebars off of another bike. I will need a new chain, a 27.? Seat post and some front down tube shifters.
I will have to contact the seller again to see if he has any more info about it so that I could nail down what bike it actually is.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I thought that I would use some Weinmann levers as I have got a few of them floating around. I have got a nice Brooks B17 narrow saddle that I got off of eBay as well as a Stronglight crank. The wheels are 27 inch Wobler rims which get moved around from bike to bike. I think that a pair of nice Weinmann stainless steel short mudguards would look nice on it, so I think it would be period ish.

Top Bottom