!963 Woodrup Frame.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
@Illaveago this build is taking longer than some of mine

run the bars naked for that true feel
I'm sorry I didn't get back to you about the ferrules. Thank you for the offer. I needed to do something the other day and as things were working out well I continued.
It has taken a while. Fitting a new bath and sink and tiling has taken a lot of time and energy. I've just down from doing some grouting for a rest.
As for handlebar tape I am thinking of trying the old plastic/ vinyl tape of the period. I have some original tape on my Holdsworth and I quite like it . I like the narrowness of the bars in my hands as opposed to the thicker feel of the padded tape.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I'm sorry I didn't get back to you about the ferrules. Thank you for the offer. I needed to do something the other day and as things were working out well I continued.
It has taken a while. Fitting a new bath and sink and tiling has taken a lot of time and energy. I've just down from doing some grouting for a rest.
As for handlebar tape I am thinking of trying the old plastic/ vinyl tape of the period. I have some original tape on my Holdsworth and I quite like it . I like the narrowness of the bars in my hands as opposed to the thicker feel of the padded tape.

Sounds like you have been busy then , no issue re ferrules i normally have a few around so if you need just shout must admit i like the look of those you made .

I prefer the less chunky feel as well and its another reason why i quite often leave my bars unwrapped on the older bikes

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Sounds like you have been busy then , no issue re ferrules i normally have a few around so if you need just shout must admit i like the look of those you made .

I prefer the less chunky feel as well and its another reason why i quite often leave my bars unwrapped on the older bikes
I've just come back from a 7 mile test ride out to Biddestone and back. A long gradual climb out into a headwind and a lot of freewheeling back and I'm shattered. There is quite a bit to adjust. The chain is too long, I couldn't use the smaller chain ring. The saddle felt too low and I didn't take any tools with me and so I felt a bit cramped.
The road surface didn't help either. The last time the council resurfaced the road they poured gravel onto wet tar and so it is as smooth as railway ballast.
I'll make some adjustments and try it out another day.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
FB_IMG_1505235732122.jpg

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I have just found a couple of issues which may have upset my ride. I noticed that the rear mech cable was slack and whilst tightening it up found that either the clamp bolt or housing is stripped. I'll look for a remedy tomorrow. The other thing I noticed was that there is quite a difference in the front chainring ratios. I can't remember if I had fitted one that my brother gave me or it was one I got off the bay. Also another thing to look into.
A third problem is one of the arms of the rear brake seems to have a twist and is making the brake block for out. It caused a lot of vibration when being used. One good thing to say about the GB Synchrons is that they don't remain on after application like Weinmann side pulls do.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I have been out and measured the dimensions of the head tube and the holes for the badge that was once fitted there. The diameter of the tube is 35mm and is 4.5 inches long. The badge holes are on a vertical axis and measure 27mm between centres and are half way up the tube. This to me suggests a symmetrical style badge.
I looked on the internet at head badges to look for any that might fit. The Woodrup coat of arms badge looked like a contender until I scaled up the picture to find out that the distance between the hole centres was to big. The closest fit that I have discovered so far is a Dawes circular laurel leaf style badge.
I'll continue searching on the net and in some vintage cycle magazines to try to find some answers.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I am sorry if I have misled people but I am now coming round to the idea that this frame I bought may have been made by someone else.

I was under the firm belief and I think that the previous owner was too that this was a Woodrup frame.

After carrying out some search online yesterday I am now coming round to the idea that the frame may be a " Flying Scot".

I will make a new post explaining my new findings.

Thank You.

Top Bottom