!984 Team Raleigh 531

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dave.guzzi

My question is .Can I up date my 5 speed block on my old TI Raleigh 531 replica bike , With modern equipment ie campag 10 speed block . What do I need to change
Thank for any help

gbb

Legendary Member
Cant remember what dropout spacing is required for 10 speed wheels, but i upgraded a 5 speed 531 frame to accept 8 speed wheels. Cold settings the method...do your homework, see how its done (its not rocket science, but it need doing with care) and bobs yer uncle.
Beware the brake bridge, i was worried (perhaps unneccessarily) the welds might pop open as i opened the rear triangle. It was ok though.
Did the team raleigh have 27 inch or 700 wheels ?

Be prepared for some expense though, getting the frame to accept 8/9/10 speed wheels is easy enough, but the cost of the transmission and wheels is going to be high.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I put a modern 8 speed 700c wheel into a old frame that took 27 inch wheels I had to spread the drop outs and the front forks, the only down side I had was that I couldn't get the top gear without the chain rubbing, but I was running a 11t cassette so the next gear up at 13t was sufficient with a 52t crank. If the bike takes 27 inch wheels it is a bit of a ball ache, you will need deep drop brakes which severley restrict your choice. My temptation would be keep it original. Retro bikes in good nick have a strong following.

gbb

Legendary Member
My question is .Can I up date my 5 speed block on my old TI Raleigh 531 replica bike , With modern equipment ie campag 10 speed block . What do I need to change
Thank for any help

I'm assuming a lot about what you do or dont know Dave, so forgive me if i state the obvious.
The 5 speed wheels you have will have a screw on block. Modern wheels/hubs capable of taking a 10 speed cassette are wider to accomodate all the extra cogs. You need new wheels, then you need to spread the frame (cold setting is the term) to accept these wider hubs.
You of course need new shifters, and these ARE expensive. new rear derailleur, new crankset/cranks because the chain is much thinner on 10 speed transmissions, it wouldnt work with you existing chainset, new chain, and probably a new BB for the cranks.
I upgraded mine to 8 speed with Sora shifters, it all works beautifully, but it still costs an awful lot. Upgrading to 10 speed, i wouldnt even like to consider it myself. As Hacianda says, its maybe better to leave it original.

One option, if you're considering this because you dont have enough gears....is it a single cog on the front or a double ?
If its a single you could fit a double chainset/cranks on the front, new chain, front derailleur and a pair of double friction shifters on the downtube. You'd probably pick up those parts quite cheaply on ebay. I did the wifes runaround, its moderately straightforward.

Jimbonic

Excuse my ignorance, but couldn't you forego the expensive clickety-click shifters and retain the friction shifters. I had a Shimano SIS (Tourney) rear derailleur on my 1990 Falcon and just used the friction shifters.

Just an idea - you get your 400-speed bike with less cost.

OP
OP
D

dave.guzzi

Thank you again

I will have a look at all your Ideas . plus the Ribble cycles web page
But remember. When you go out on a club ride . Someone says " That is a nice bike , why don't you .do it up. (Modern bits)."
Some people like to spend your money for you . lol The Answer now .is .It's 28 year old it is a pity to change it

Jimbonic

I know what you mean. That's why I have two bikes: one I can commute on and not spend too much money and another set up for racing. That way I end up spending less, as there's less to compromise. The commuter gets bargain bucket spares that I know work and may need replacing. The race bike gets slightly more expensive stuff, but not top of the range by any means, as I know I don't have to go all out for longevity.

Not very well explained, but basically your bike should be what you want or need it to be - an all-rounder, a commuter, a super-fast race bike, a shining example of bygone quality, or whatever else takes your fancy. Of course, you may not know yet, so don't go spending your entire life savings on a Dura Ace group set - you might find out you really fancy an authentic piece of cycling history or a fixie...

Top Bottom