A bad day :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I realised when I was getting ready to cycle home this evening that I'd been so pre-occupied with work this morning, I had forgotten to plug in and charge my Moon XP-500 for my return commute. D'oh! :blush:

Resorting to a low power setting (in conjunction with my under-powered backup light) meant that I got home safe and sound, but I suffered a puncture on the way. Really quite miffed about that since I only invested in new Marathon+ tyres less than 250 miles ago specifically to get rid of the puncture fairy :sad:

I managed to fumble around under a streetlight and fit a replacement tube, only to inadvertently get it caught between the rim and tyre. Cue blowout, the result of which is I'm now deaf in my left ear, with extra tinnitus thrown in for good measure :cry:

(At least the Topeak Road Morph G worked well up to 110psi. Nice pump :thumbsup:)

Suffice to say lessons have been learned, and today's "bad to worse" experiences won't put me off cycling in tomorrow and Friday, but I am seriously grumpy this evening!!! :angry:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ho-um ... it happens!
A Petzl headtorch is a good investment, both as a flexible back-up light and really useful when fixing stuff in the dark, much easier than a torch in the teeth!
Better luck tomorrow.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I started off my commute home with a flat tyre. I was at least happy that I got to change it out of the wind chill but I did still have to ride 17 miles home on a tyre i know has too many cuts in.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Ho-um ... it happens!
A Petzl headtorch is a good investment, both as a flexible back-up light and really useful when fixing stuff in the dark, much easier than a torch in the teeth!
Better luck tomorrow.
Cheers – this morning's commute was much less eventful, but a bit more wet :rain: Seen a few other cyclists with headtorches and they do seem like a good idea :thumbsup:

Bicycle

I've had precious few mid-commute punctures...

But I've NEVER had one in daylight or dry weather or warm weather.

Once... just once... I was able to change my tube under the forecourt of a petrol station.

Every other time I've been on some f***ing wet, cold, dark country lane with only my p**s-poor front light to see by and with cold, wet fingers and crap all over the tyre that gets inside it when I pull the tube out....

... and a pump that won't sit right on the new valve, so I can't 'pop' the new tube open....

... and a cut on my finger from running it round the inside the tyre looking for that shard of glass...

... and fingers that seem to bruise to the bone every time the beading 'pings' at me as I re-mount the tyre...

... and I get home and find that I left a tyre lever on the grass verge...

... And my hands get mucky and I smear oil on my cycling glasses; and wiping them on my top just makes it worse... and gets oil on my top.

My favourite top...

But I think the important thing is that it's not something I moan about. :rolleyes:

I find for commuting the number of a local taxi company is more useful than a pump. A puncture happens so rarely that its worth it when it does to treat yourself to a lift home and fix it in the warm comfort of the kitchen rather than crouched over a wet muddy tyre by the roadside in the dark.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I've had precious few mid-commute punctures...

But I've NEVER had one in daylight or dry weather or warm weather.

Once... just once... I was able to change my tube under the forecourt of a petrol station.

Every other time I've been on some f***ing wet, cold, dark country lane with only my p**s-poor front light to see by and with cold, wet fingers and crap all over the tyre that gets inside it when I pull the tube out....

... and a pump that won't sit right on the new valve, so I can't 'pop' the new tube open....

... and a cut on my finger from running it round the inside the tyre looking for that shard of glass...

... and fingers that seem to bruise to the bone every time the beading 'pings' at me as I re-mount the tyre...

... and I get home and find that I left a tyre lever on the grass verge...

... And my hands get mucky and I smear oil on my cycling glasses; and wiping them on my top just makes it worse... and gets oil on my top.

My favourite top...

But I think the important thing is that it's not something I moan about. :rolleyes:
:rofl: that cheered me up Bicycle! Sorry if you thought I was moaning :blush:

Was frustrated with myself for not charging my light, and then more frustrated that having invested in Marathon+ tyres (on advice received here) I can't even manage 2 weeks without a flat!! I appreciate that punctures will happen, and that the M+ sidewall is probably no more resistant than any other tyre, but everybody who's said fit the Schwalbe's and forget punctures, well, it just doesn't seem to work like that :sad:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Just replace-fix at home.

5 min job.
That's what I did... but my quick road-side tube replacement turned nasty when it blew out, and it only turned into a 10 minute job as I had to fit my second spare tube! At least I've got more practice in the Marathon+ fitting technique :blush:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I find for commuting the number of a local taxi company is more useful than a pump. A puncture happens so rarely that its worth it when it does to treat yourself to a lift home and fix it in the warm comfort of the kitchen rather than crouched over a wet muddy tyre by the roadside in the dark.

What ? - lightweight :wacko: What's 5 minutes, some rubber gloves etc. :tongue:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I wish!! A few weeks back I had 2 in one commute, and for me the unscheduled deflations were happening at least once a week, hence the "upgrade" to M+ tyres. I also invested in a Topeak Road Morph G pump so I could get properly re-pressurised at the roadside.

Kitchen (or office) repairs are much more comfortable though :thumbsup:

potsy

Rambler
You have to have the bad days to appreciate the good days even more.
Once had 3 flats in a day, 2 on way in making me late, then another on way home in the rain.
Also forgot to replace my lights after a rare cleaning session, had to borrow a cheap Tesco flasher to get home at 10pm!
Unlucky with the m+ though, mine have done 2500 miles without one :tongue:

Bicycle

:rofl: that cheered me up Bicycle! Sorry if you thought I was moaning :blush:

Mac Music,

Not at all! I just felt the need to show some empathy, but might have pitched it poorly.

It wasn't a dig at all. :biggrin:

And in truth, those God-awful moments are always the ones that give the warmest glow once they're safely in the past.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Mac Music,

Not at all! I just felt the need to show some empathy, but might have pitched it poorly.

It wasn't a dig at all. :biggrin:

And in truth, those God-awful moments are always the ones that give the warmest glow once they're safely in the past.
It wasn't pitched poorly at all, and it did make me laugh. Out loud :biggrin:

Wouldn't it be nice though if when you had a puncture, before the expletives have barely been uttered, a happy, smiling person appears alongside you, not only offering comforting words (and perhaps a cup of coffee and a slice of cake), but a whole replacement bike – all clean and shiny, with fully inflated tyres that you can just hop right on and cycle away with a merry wave..... Sorry, daydreaming again :whistle:

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
You have to have the bad days to appreciate the good days even more.
Once had 3 flats in a day, 2 on way in making me late, then another on way home in the rain.
Also forgot to replace my lights after a rare cleaning session, had to borrow a cheap Tesco flasher to get home at 10pm!
Unlucky with the m+ though, mine have done 2500 miles without one :tongue:

you just know that's going to come back and bite you :whistle: :tongue:

Top Bottom