A bad experience in Tesco. Or my fault?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
He can complain all the wants. Tesco don't give a sheet, and even if they did their turnover of front line, minimum wage , cannon fodder is so high that any lessons learned will be negated very quickly.

People want the cheapest shopping experience possible, so it should be little surprise when they get what they're paying for.

RichardB

Slightly retro
People want the cheapest shopping experience possible, so it should be little surprise when they get what they're paying for.

It amuses me when people refer to Tesco as the cheap end of the supermarket spectrum. Here in West Wales, we have Tesco, Morrisons, Aldi and Lidl, plus a few random oddities like Home Bargains. Tesco is the crème de la crème of shopping alternatives, the place you go when you are feeling flush and don't care how much you spend. To be fair, the staff are generally nice and helpful, the building is pleasant, and the shelves are usually well-stocked. You can get what you came for, Morrison's, by comparison, is like Albania on a wet Thursday. One week all the shelves are full of cornflakes, but there is no porridge. Next week, there is a ton of porridge, but no cornflakes. And the staff are surly.

If I could afford it, I'd shop at Tesco all the time. But I reckon I save £30 a week by shopping at Aldi (which is pretty good, to be fair), so that's what I do. The nearest Sainsbury's and Waitrose are in the next county.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I've stopped shopping at Tesco since I applied for a warehouse job there and the manager refused me saying I'd turned up late and appeared to be drunk. I'd turned up late, but that was because I thought I knew the road it was on, but they'd added a new bit of road across the roundabout. I wasn't drunk. It's an inconvenience because half the local food shops around here are Tescos. Don't complain about the employee. Burn the shop down.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Vowing never to shop there again is cutting your nose off to spite your face. I would have got her name and reported the incident to the manager before leaving.

screenman

Legendary Member
I've stopped shopping at Tesco since I applied for a warehouse job there and the manager refused me saying I'd turned up late and appeared to be drunk. I'd turned up late, but that was because I thought I knew the road it was on, but they'd added a new bit of road across the roundabout. I wasn't drunk. It's an inconvenience because half the local food shops around here are Tescos. Don't complain about the employee. Burn the shop down.

To be fair if you turned up late for an interview for a job with me I doubt you would have got it.

D

Deleted member 26715

We have left our shopping on the belt before now.
I've left a full weeks shop in the trolley before today at Tesco's, then walking up to the supervisor & advising them if they can't have enough staff on the tills then they can find somebody to put our pickings back on the shelf. I have to say it is one of my only irritations of shopping at Aldi, they normally seem to have 6 tills, but only 2 at the most operating at any time.

Why not avoid all the 'in shop' hassle and arrange home delivery of groceries by shopping on line?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've never really liked Tesco as a business but we have shopped there on a regular basis until four years ago when we switched to ALDI only going to Tesco for things ALDI don't offer.

In lockdown first visit to Tesco 45 minute queue and very low stock levels, second visit queue was 50% longer so I simply drove off. I went to try a nearby ASDA where the store flow, staff help and directions and customer response were admirable. I have become an ASDA customer since that day and our local store continues to get it right.

I have bobbed in to the local Tesco over the last few months. Very poor approach to Covid-19, significant stock shortages and very few staff around. For me Tesco failed its' customers during lockdown while other supermarkets upped their game. I'll never return to Tesco as a regular customer.

During lockdown our local ALDI was always fully stocked and well disciplined. I could count on one hand the items I wasn't able to buy occasionally during lockdown. Traffic light system works very well and customers respond accordingly.

For me ALDI and ASDA got it right, Tesco failed miserably. My shopping habits and decisions on where I visit have changed. Places which don't give out the right message don't get my business.

screenman

Legendary Member
I've left a full weeks shop in the trolley before today at Tesco's, then walking up to the supervisor & advising them if they can't have enough staff on the tills then they can find somebody to put our pickings back on the shelf. I have to say it is one of my only irritations of shopping at Aldi, they normally seem to have 6 tills, but only 2 at the most operating at any time.

The Aldi. Lidl around these parts seldom have more than 3 in a queue and if it does get above that they just open another till when not serving the staff are stacking shelves, nice people thay all are as well.

D

Deleted member 26715

I have bobbed in to the local Tesco over the last few months. Very poor approach to Covid-19, significant stock shortages and very few staff around. For me Tesco failed its' customers during lockdown while other supermarkets upped their game. I'll never return to Tesco as a regular customer.
Our experience has been the same, we were a loyal Tesco customer for over 40 years, once lockdown came along despite being an early adopter of online home delivery via Tesco we couldn't get a slot, we moved to Asda & since then only failed to get a slot one week, which was my fault for forgetting to book one.

potsy

Rambler
I've gone against all my previous principals since this pandemic, and started to use the 'scan as you shop' at Tesco.

Find it much less stressful, hardly anybody else uses it so it it always really quick to get through the tills.

Just the occasional bag check if you look a bit shifty :whistle:

Top Bottom