A bargain ebike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
I've ridden a Speed Pedelec and the experience is a little under whelming.

The motor is no more powerful, the only difference is the cut off speed.

Ebike motors are built for torque, not speed, so the assistance over 15.5mph is relatively small.

It does make a difference, but I doubt many cyclists would have the power to cruise on one at 25mph on the flat.

No extra speed to be had on climbs, unless you could do the climb at more than 15.5mph on a legal ebike.

That's is what I wanted to know, no absolute benefit.

Ive seen 1500W ebike s and they will hit 30mph on the flat with little effort from rider

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That's is what I wanted to know, no absolute benefit.

Ive seen 1500W ebike s and they will hit 30mph on the flat with little effort from rider

The high watt large 'pancake' direct drive motors will go quick on the flat, once they are wound up.

They are surprisingly useless at climbing, leading some owners to bin them in favour of a close to legal geared hub motor, or a crank kit like you have.

It seems you can either have torque or speed, but you cannot have both.

This is what I am curious about. I do about 16-17moh in the flat. If the bike was not restricted (or say restricted to 20mph) - would I actually be getting more assistance and therefore a slightly higher speed?

CXRAndy

Guru
This is what I am curious about. I do about 16-17moh in the flat. If the bike was not restricted (or say restricted to 20mph) - would I actually be getting more assistance and therefore a slightly higher speed?

If you have inclines or encounter a stiif headwind, then yes you would probably be quicker. If you're 10% quicker uphill then you will be quicker.

My wife's ebike I have to draft her, just to stay with her on a 1/2 mile gradual climb. The speed we are talking about is around 14 mph, add in a headwind and I cant sustain her comfortable pace. What Ive seem is she a little bit quicker, but does it with so much less effort. This means she enjoys the rideout, instead of feeling slow and tired out.

If you have inclines or encounter a stiif headwind, then yes you would probably be quicker. If you're 10% quicker uphill then you will be quicker.

My wife's ebike I have to draft her, just to stay with her on a 1/2 mile gradual climb. The speed we are talking about is around 14 mph, add in a headwind and I cant sustain her comfortable pace. What Ive seem is she a little bit quicker, but does it with so much less effort. This means she enjoys the rideout, instead of feeling slow and tired out.
That’s a benefit I am seeing - not so tired out but no faster in time

mynydd

Veteran
I like the look of the Scott.... for 1600...
a good option for my, much pondered, new commuter for my hilly commute?

Mike_P

Guru
The best type of ebike for hilly terrain as I understand is one with a crank drive rather than rear wheel drive and certainly not a front wheel drive. That was fully demonstrated on the section of NCN67 west of Ripley North Yorkshire where on my legal TSDZ2 fitted hybrid I had to slow down behind a rear wheel drive fitted MTB and then on the hill of Hollybank Lane left the MTB struggling behind

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I like the look of the Scott.... for 1600...
a good option for my, much pondered, new commuter for my hilly commute?

Yes, a Bosch CX would get an averagely fit cyclist up all but the very steepest 25% plus climbs, and might even do those.

That Scott does have the 2019 CX internally geared motor, which is bigger and a little noisier than the 2020 motor in the pic.

Power is about the same, although the 2020 motor is easier to pedal unassisted.

The new motor is nicer, but I doubt you'd get a bike with one under £2,000.

The Scott in the link is still a good deal.

mynydd

Veteran
thanks, shame they’ve not got a large.... I’m 5.10 so at the limit of the medium...... anyone know what the Scott sizing is like?

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Scott was available in all sizes so you may have to move quickly for a bike on a good reduction.

Size is not so critical on a hybrid bike, and it does have plenty of adjustment in the handlebars.

Only way to be sure would be to throw your leg over one.

Rutland has a sale on.

I'd be inclined to visit if possible, or give them a ring.

Some of these deals have already sold out.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/electric-bikes/instock/onsale

mynydd

Veteran
Thanks, I guess a medium would probably be fine.
can you tell me the difference between the motor on the scott and the one on the cube I’d been looking at? The cube has this: Bosch Drive Unit Performance Generation 3 (65Nm) Cruise (250Watt)..... I’m a bit confused
many thanks

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I’m a bit confused

It is confusing and I would need to see a link to the exact Cube bike to be certain.

The Scott definitely has a 2019 CX motor (despite the pic showing otherwise), which is the most powerful.

It has the small chain ring, geared up inside, which works but makes it harder to pedal unassisted.

That small chain ring has been dropped on all 2020 bikes.

Generation 3 is usually used to describe the small chain ring motor, which suggests that is what the Cube you are looking at has.

The Performance Line is slightly less torquey than the CX, but there isn't much in it.

Probably perfectly adequate for you, even if you have to resort to Turbo mode now and again.

If the Cube has the bigger chain ring motor, all is well.

Power is about the same, although the 2020 motor is easier to pedal unassisted.
This isn't as big a problem as it sounds, unless you plan on using your bike to keep up with road bikers on flat roads, or plan on riding a lot with a flat battery. For everyone else, it's a minor annoyance, but I like to go as fast as possible, so it's nice not to have to worry about that drag. I opted for the 2020 model.

Top Bottom