A bargain ebike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The term bargain is over-used, but this Scott is excellent value for money at £1,600.

Decent spec trekking bike with the latest 2020 model year Bosch CX motor, which is the most powerful one.

It also has the bigger 500wh Powertube integrated battery.

The rest of the bike is not too shabby, 11 speed SRAM, Shimano brakes and hubs rather than no-name cheapies, a KMC chain, and Schwalbe ebike rated tyres.

Some Chinese no-brand hub drive bikes are more than £1,000, and they are usually one size fits all.

Tredz is saying they have the Scott in small, medium, and large.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Scott-Sub-Sport-eRide-SE-2019-Electric-Hybrid-Bike_223237.htm

Smudge

Veteran
That is a good deal.
I've seen a few good deals in the last few days on ebikes. Pendleton ebike at Halfords for £595 and Bikester had the Cube Acid Hybrid One 400 for £1,055 on Boxing Day.

That Scott is awesome and all the kit you need - rack, lights, mudguards and fat tires.
If I didn’t have the Raleigh I would be tempted .

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is that Pendleton any good ?
We’ll be looking for a ladies step through next year.

The Somerby is a basic rear hub drive ebike, but the technology is well proven.

Its motor is actuated by a speed rather than a torque sensor which makes the ride not quite as intuitive as an ebike which also uses a torque sensor.

Smallish battery, so range won't be a lot more than 30 miles.

Plenty of similar quality ebikes for a hundred or two more.

If you want that style of bike, the Somerby is hard to beat.

midlife

Guru
Just out of sheer curiosity, what e bike looks the least like an e bike and more like a normal road bike.... If that makes sense :smile:

midlife

Guru
The Orbea Gain and several others that use a similar design.

Rear hub motor which is no bigger in diameter than the biggest gear on the cassette and a battery buried in the down tube.

https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/ebikes/road/gain-road/

Thanks, just curious :smile:

simon.r

Person
Why do so many e-bikes come with short travel suspension forks? There’s bound to be a fairly significant weight penalty and extra cost.

The Scott in the OP is a good example. I struggle to see any real advantage of a 63mm travel fork (a claimed 63mm equates to an actual 50mm or so IME) when the bike runs a 700 x 50 tyre and is designed for road use.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Why do so many e-bikes come with short travel suspension forks? There’s bound to be a fairly significant weight penalty and extra cost.

The Scott in the OP is a good example. I struggle to see any real advantage of a 63mm travel fork (a claimed 63mm equates to an actual 50mm or so IME) when the bike runs a 700 x 50 tyre and is designed for road use.

I suppose for the same reason flat bar hybrid/commuter push bikes have suspension forks - the average buyer thinks a suspension fork is superior to a rigid one.

CXRAndy

Guru

You're correct, 50mm tyres negate the need for front suspension for a commuter bike.

CXRAndy

Guru
I've recommended this bike to my In-law. He lives in Sheffield up a stupid steep climb from the city centre. He has stopped riding because he can't face the climb each evening. An ebike like this should suit him for a 5 mile commute

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've recommended this bike to my In-law. He lives in Sheffield up a stupid steep climb from the city centre. He has stopped riding because he can't face the climb each evening. An ebike like this should suit him for a 5 mile commute

Since things have now got serious with money possibly changing hands, I ought to issue a word of caution.

The photo on the website is of a 2020 bike with the latest motor.

However, the bike may have the previous generation 2019 motor, which would explain its cheapness.

The previous motor - which I have - was bigger, heavier, and has some resistance while pedalling.

The difference is easy to spot because the previous motor has a small front ring, typically about 15 or 16 teeth - and is geared up inside, hence the resistance.

The latest motor has the same size front ring you would expect to see on an ordinary push bike.

Both motors have the same power, and both would do an excellent job of the proposed commute, assuming they would be ridden under power.

Another difference is the latest motor has anti-dongle software - the 15.5mph limit cannot be removed.

That might be a reason to go for the previous generation motor, not that I'm advocating brother-in-law runs an illegal ebike.

Arguably, it's hardly worth the bother of derestricting it for five miles because the elapsed time saved would be minimal.

Top Bottom