A big announcement at work is happening on Monday....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
...apparently...
Just heard as I left the office that the big HR man is coming from HQ and some major announcement is being made. Nice thing to hear at the start of the weekend ;)

I've no idea what's being announced or whether I should be worried, but there are an increasing number of spare desks at our place as various functions get absorbed "Centrally". I've been in this position before (as I'm sure have many others here), been made redundant twice due to corporate rationalisations etc etc. It seems in my experience that this is now just a regular feature of the work-place, just when you think things are going well, life is stable, it's all change again. It's bloody unsettling. Whatever happens, come Monday, it'not going to be good for somebody...unusually I have not a clue what's happening which is even more unsettling, normally I have a pretty good feel of the pulse. Maybe that's why I feel uncertain.

Working for a living...it's getting to be less fun every day...

stevenb

Not nice at all mate...:ohmy:
Fingers crossed that things will be ok. ;)

It is unsettling and also, sadly, quite part of normal working life now. I don't think anyone has a job for life anymore, civil servants maybe?

Fingers crossed FF, might just be another corporate re-organisation as the next manager who's read a new mgt book arrives on the scene. Give him/her 2 years and they'll be replaced by another and so the cycle goes.

Yep, time to dust off the CV.

I've heard that we're likely to merge with another org. Shame as I was really enjoying it where I was, but it's not my choice. Life is all about change.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Crackle said:
I don't think anyone has a job for life anymore, civil servants maybe?

;):angry::ohmy::angry::biggrin::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

No, not even them. I say 'them' not 'us' because I was made redundant from the civil service (ironically the Department for Work and Pensions) last month. In another 15 years I'll start to get my 'gold plated' pension, which, as its frozen till then, will be worth f*** all.

:ohmy: Sorry to hear that Mr. Celine. Don't get me started on pensions though. I have my best laugh of the year when I get my pension statements. I am of course planning for my retirment now - I'm planning to start a business so I can live and eat. ;)

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I think that this sums up the definition of working class (not just white working class, as per my poll). Working class is defined by being in a work situation where "the gods" decide that things aren't going quite to (their) plan and cutbacks have to be made (elsewhere) to keep them employed.
Your future is in their hands and you can do diddly squat about it. And I hope that isnt your situ FF, its not good.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Crackle said:
:ohmy: Sorry to hear that Mr. Celine. Don't get me started on pensions though. I have my best laugh of the year when I get my pension statements. I am of course planning for my retirment now - I'm planning to start a business so I can live and eat. ;)
I had a pension quote after contributing for eight years about 20 years ago. I worked out that it would buy me a box of Swan every week at 65. Seems because of Gb's pension snatch its one every 3 weeks.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks Guys...
Just on a bit of a downer I guess. My CV doesn't need dusting down...the ink's still wet...been here 18 months or so, and it's going really well, best job I've had in years, and within walking distance.
Just don't want to contemplate having to find another job really if the worst happens.

Maz

Guru
that uncertainty is not a nice feeling at all, FF, especially when Rumour Control [every co. has one of these people] is not keeping its ear to the ground.
hope it's not bad news for you personally.
work at our place is dead quiet and theres all manner of rumours going round about redundancies etc. not good.

Top Bottom