a bikes a bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
paddypete

paddypete

There are a lot of people here who no nothing about bikes, so how would they know if they find a good one, buying second hand is fine if you know what you are looking at. I personally would not buy second hand carbon frame unless i new the history of it, That would probably mean buying of someone i have ridden with and i know it has not been crashed, ally and steel is a bit different but you can still be caught out. Buying new gives people piece of mind, if there is a problem they just go back to where they bought it from. I know a couple of guy's bought second hand, one was pleased as punch with his purchase the other not.^_^
just stick with a raleigh,you will be fine

OP
OP
paddypete

paddypete

Well, not exactly wrong, it's adequate for town, just not for the hilly countryside ^_^
When does a bike become not a bike?
When you have to walk it instead of riding it :laugh:
would it be impossible for a person to go to tesco direct and buy a bike for £75 and cycle round the world?

young Ed

Veteran
well i've ridden steel, aluminum and carbon
over 2,000 miles easily on steel and over 1,000 miles probably on aluminum and less than 100 miles on carbon
i can say there are differences, big ones at that! the weight difference makes a real difference, especially when climbing or sprinting. the comfort difference. all sorts of differences
i want a carbon and will build one up at some point in the future, when i want i can be a pretty fast rider and i reckon on carbon i could easily average 16-18mph for up to about 30 miles with out too much effort, i would really have to push for this on aluminum...
i want titanium at some point in the future, light and strong for touring

they have different properties, different strengths and weaknesses. i wouldn't want to be proper TT racing on steel. likewise i wouldn't want to tour the world on carbon
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
paddypete

paddypete

Yes: the Tesco bike would not last until Edinburgh, never mind round the world.
so if some one done it you would be a toss pot then?

Top Bottom