a bikes a bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Friday Night Fights, and dinner not even started yet.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
i think you lot think the bike makes the man,how modern is that
Tosspot back to you :tongue:
Of course you could ride from Glasgow to Edinburgh on a Tesco bike - I did a Pedal for Scotland on my recycled (by a professional bike mechanic though) 5 speed. Never walked a hill, not even Avonbridge. :heat:
Probably the Tesco bike won't be as pleasurable (easy) to ride as the latest carbon, plus will need components replaced after a few hundred miles.
Unless the man (or woman, in my case) is a skinny 20 year old whippet the bike does make a difference.
I did the same sportive the year after (47 miles), on a better geared bike, never even broke sweat, rode it back too!
Meanwhile, old mamils on road bikes keep leaving me for dust :sad:

young Ed

Veteran
never said the rider makes no difference, you could put a toddler on a pinaerllo dogma costing 10k and wiggo on a tesco BSO.... guess who's going to win!
but trust me, the bike also makes a BIG difference. at some point you reach the point where you feel you can't get any/much faster or better on the bike your on, you are simply so physically fit and so fast or what ever that there is no point continuing on that bikes. my £75 second hand hybrid off ebay weighing 13kg, flat bars, steel frame, pannier rack and 38mm tyres did me fine to start with and carried me for my first 100 mile ride and is still the commuter but i went and bought a second hand alloy road bike on something like 23mm tyres, alloy frame and carbon forks, drop bars, less than 10kg and trust you me i fly on that thing compared to the hybrid! the difference is that between a tractor and a sports car
i say why do all the farmers drive these:
maxresdefault.jpg

when they could just drive these, simpler, easier to drive and handle and very capable machines. i say keep the old fergie, the fergie is real (fergie is the nick name for ferguson the make of the following beast!):
hqdefault.jpg

Cheers Ed

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
My collection of carbon road bikes and full-suss and hardtail MTB's disagrees

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
never said the rider makes no difference, you could put a toddler on a pinaerllo dogma costing 10k and wiggo on a tesco BSO.... guess who's going to win!
but trust me, the bike also makes a BIG difference. at some point you reach the point where you feel you can't get any/much faster or better on the bike your on, you are simply so physically fit and so fast or what ever that there is no point continuing on that bikes. my £75 second hand hybrid off ebay weighing 13kg, flat bars, steel frame, pannier rack and 38mm tyres did me fine to start with and carried me for my first 100 mile ride and is still the commuter but i went and bought a second hand alloy road bike on something like 23mm tyres, alloy frame and carbon forks, drop bars, less than 10kg and trust you me i fly on that thing compared to the hybrid! the difference is that between a tractor and a sports car
maxresdefault.jpg

when they could just drive these, simpler, easier to drive and handle and very capable machines. i say keep the old fergie, the fergie is real (fergie is the nick name for ferguson the make of the following beast!):
hqdefault.jpg

Cheers Ed
I'm with you here. I'd rather drive the wee TE20 than that stupid big green thing. In fact I have driven modern tractors but they aren't the same...

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Cheers Ed

Because they wouldn't be handed so much money for the next year if they didn't spend last years money .

young Ed

Veteran
I'm with you here. I'd rather drive the wee TE20 than that stupid big green thing. In fact I have driven modern tractors but they aren't the same...
TBH i'm happy to drive either but lets face it the big green beast is going to get the job done a lot quicker and in more comfort etc than the lil grey grey fergie! driven both and as i say i'm not too fussed but as for bikes i would much rather be on the road bike than the heavy, cumbersome 16kg tesco thing!
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
paddypete

paddypete

maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Cheers Ed
i am not talking about doing a tour,im talking about cycling ,a to b ,fun for every one,the way your talking bikes are for the chosen

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
would it be impossible for a person to go to tesco direct and buy a bike for £75 and cycle round the world?

i am not talking about doing a tour,im talking about cycling ,a to b ,fun for every one,the way your talking bikes are for the chosen
I think a contingent of Glasgow's Belles on Bikes is gonna go for a wee ride to Cumbernauld soon ... watch out :ph34r: :laugh:

Top Bottom