a bikes a bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Why do those who don't want to spend the money on a more expensive bike, have a pop at those who do?

More so, why do they assume that they look down on everyone who doesn't?

Read some of the posts on here and the same names who discuss expensive bikes also discuss the cheaper ones too if you can be bothered to read the threads @paddypete.

I don't judge people with cheaper bikes or with more expensive bikes than me. Just happy for those who are happy with what they have, irrespective of price.
I don't have a problem with it, if someone didn't buy the expensive bikes in the first place we wouldn't have any to become second hand, you need both. What you don't need are the BSO's at the bottom of the chain, where it isn't a BSO because it is cheap but because they cut lots of corners to produce it so cheaply that means that it's made of cheese. There are perfectly good bikes at a range of prices, but as a new person it is very difficult to decide what would suit you and to be able to tell the good from the bad when looking.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Looks more like a 35 than a 20! Backend looks wrong for a 20.
You may be right :okay:

OP
OP
paddypete

paddypete

This idea that "steel is real" and "old is best" is complete twaddle. Record numbers of people are coming back into the sport of cycling. Why? For the same reason why I have: carbon fibre makes for a lighter, more comfortable, better-handling frame. Compact chainsets are easier for amateur riders. STI shifters and compact handlebars, ditto. My first road bike after 22 years of mountain biking was a 1990 bike in Columbus SLX, a respected steel tube at that time. It didn't handle particularly brilliantly and it beat me up so badly that after 40 miles I was shattered. Now I ride a carbon endurance bike that is fast, smooth, handles like a dream and is still comfortable after 100 miles. There's simply no contest.
you wouldn't be able to do a 100 miles if it wasn't for that steel bike

contadino

Veteran
This idea that "steel is real" and "old is best" is complete twaddle. Record numbers of people are coming back into the sport of cycling. Why? For the same reason why I have: carbon fibre makes for a lighter, more comfortable, better-handling frame. Compact chainsets are easier for amateur riders. STI shifters and compact handlebars, ditto. My first road bike after 22 years of mountain biking was a 1990 bike in Columbus SLX, a respected steel tube at that time. It didn't handle particularly brilliantly and it beat me up so badly that after 40 miles I was shattered. Now I ride a carbon endurance bike that is fast, smooth, handles like a dream and is still comfortable after 100 miles. There's simply no contest.

This is, maybe the attitude that the OP alluded to. There are those who like cycling for just being out in the fresh air. We don't need to be averaging ever faster times, or be doing ever greater distances. My wife is happiest pootling along at almost walking speed. Is that a bad thing? No. Does that make her bike worse than yours? No.

We're lucky to live in a time when those who want to be a hare can buy a bike that will let them, and those who want to be tortoises can buy a bike to suit.

Debates (ahem) like this only happen when one type of rider gets all judgemental over the other type.

Learnincurve

just stick with a raleigh,you will be fine

erk. Modern Raleighs are awful awful hunks of metal that weigh even more than bottom of the range Halfords bikes but cost 4x as much.

ayceejay

Guru
If a bike is a bike why compare one to a tractor or an ugly wife on the grounds that they are all the same? I mean no one chooses an ugly wife because she is ugly. There are many many bikes to choose from and if you decide you want or need one then you buy one for that purpose and all that stands in you way is money. taste and your ugly wife. If your taste in bikes is similar to your taste in women then you are likely to pick one that looks desperate, like an old steel clunker with a sprung saddle and wide tyres. A better wife/bike would be one who makes you feel good to be around her.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
If you can afford it then why not. Spend £7000 on a bike if it makes you happy, or spend £70. The OP is talking out of his arse.

Rather not. I think the OP asks the question, in a quaint way, as to "What makes you pursue quality in a bicycle? " and "Why do people need such quality, at great expense, when a cheaper bike will do?". As for my own experience, I can state that there is a qualitative difference the minute you sit on a higher quality bicycle, as opposed the mid or lower range. Quality buys durability, comfort, and safety. Some lower quality bicycles I have seen in the US exhibit characteristics I would call downright dangerous, and I see a lot of BSO's, helping out with a local charity that gives away bicycles. Stamped steel brakes are unworthy of the name. Some bottom brackets on these cycles weigh several pounds, it seems to me. Many components are made of steel that is about one level better than pig iron, IMO. Assembly is iffy. I sometimes see on Craigslist some bikes that have been assembled, owned, ridden, and up for sale with the forks mounted backwards.Let alone any background on care and riding skills, all of which one gets from an LBS. I saw one fellow commuting on such a bicycle last year, it was obvious he new naught about gears or shifting. Now the bike has been chained to a post all winter. I'm sure that will put it in fine fettle for spring.

young Ed

Veteran
right, that's it! i'm sorry but i've simply had enough of all the tosh on here!
this shall be my last post on this thread, i shall let you fight it out! :tongue:
Cheers Ed

ayceejay

Guru
Ooer ed, not enough respect for your tractor is it?
What about this John Deere with Shimano wheels and low profile tyres
1936johndeereAN_1200.jpg

Top Bottom