a bikes a bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
paddypete

paddypete

Tosspot back to you :tongue:
Of course you could ride from Glasgow to Edinburgh on a Tesco bike - I did a Pedal for Scotland on my recycled (by a professional bike mechanic though) 5 speed. Never walked a hill, not even Avonbridge. :heat:
Probably the Tesco bike won't be as pleasurable (easy) to ride as the latest carbon, plus will need components replaced after a few hundred miles.
Unless the man (or woman, in my case) is a skinny 20 year old whippet the bike does make a difference.
I did the same sportive the year after (47 miles), on a better geared bike, never even broke sweat, rode it back too!
Meanwhile, old mamils on road bikes keep leaving me for dust :sad:
i had you fingerd for a plumber, maybe cause i knew a pat ,who was the worst plumber in the plannet

OP
OP
paddypete

paddypete

I think a contingent of Glasgow's Belles on Bikes is gonna go for a wee ride to Cumbernauld soon ... watch out :ph34r: :laugh:
your all welcome,just remember, if your hostile,you will leave by the back door

young Ed

Veteran
i am not talking about doing a tour,im talking about cycling ,a to b ,fun for every one,the way your talking bikes are for the chosen
for cycling from a to b and/or cycling for fun, well a lighter, better bike makes life easier and faster. i find i have a trillion times more fun on my nice sub 10kg alloy road bike running shimano 105 compared to what i do on my 13 kg, steel frame, flat bar, 38mm tyres hybrid
even if speed isn't your main drive and motive etc i reckon you'd be hard pushed to find anyone that would have more fun on my hybrid!
thats why the countrys gone custard
I'm confused by this comment, are you implying farmers are over paid these days?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
paddypete

paddypete

for cycling from a to b and/or cycling for fun, well a lighter, better bike makes life easier and faster. i find i have a trillion times more fun on my nice sub 10kg alloy road bike running shimano 105 compared to what i do on my 13 kg, steel frame, flat bar, 38mm tyres hybrid
even if speed isn't your main drive and motive etc i reckon you'd be hard pushed to find anyone that would have more fun on my hybrid!

I'm confused by this comment, are you implying farmers are over paid these days?
Cheers Ed
if you want to get there fast get an engine,for the folkes who like cyccling thats fast enough

Shaun

Founder
I've removed the last few posts and don't want to see any further personal remarks.

Thanks,
Shaun

classic33

Leg End Member
I used the same bike on holiday, my own build(A complete one off), as I used to get there.
That's 300+ miles each way plus general use whilst there. In either case it was, for me, a means of getting from A to B.
Same bike used for general cycling. Nowt wrong with that as far as I'm concerned.

bpsmith

Veteran
Why do those who don't want to spend the money on a more expensive bike, have a pop at those who do?

More so, why do they assume that they look down on everyone who doesn't?

Read some of the posts on here and the same names who discuss expensive bikes also discuss the cheaper ones too if you can be bothered to read the threads @paddypete.

I don't judge people with cheaper bikes or with more expensive bikes than me. Just happy for those who are happy with what they have, irrespective of price.

Globalti

Legendary Member
This idea that "steel is real" and "old is best" is complete twaddle. Record numbers of people are coming back into the sport of cycling. Why? For the same reason why I have: carbon fibre makes for a lighter, more comfortable, better-handling frame. Compact chainsets are easier for amateur riders. STI shifters and compact handlebars, ditto. My first road bike after 22 years of mountain biking was a 1990 bike in Columbus SLX, a respected steel tube at that time. It didn't handle particularly brilliantly and it beat me up so badly that after 40 miles I was shattered. Now I ride a carbon endurance bike that is fast, smooth, handles like a dream and is still comfortable after 100 miles. There's simply no contest.

Top Bottom