A Bit Blowy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Today.

On the bottom ring on the Forth Road Bridge and managed to hit around ooh24kph as I came down the other side (usually it's around 45). Looking at metcheck, the whole week's looking breezy. Is this it for the next few months?

I think we have been spoiled lately with the light winds. I think it is just a return to form.;) Oh well, just think of it as additional resistance training...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I felt a bit slow on the way in - either the wind or sore legs from climbing Holme Moss yesterday..... at least I'll get blown home (unless the wind changes direction...which will probably happen)....

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Tetedelacourse said:
Today.

On the bottom ring on the Forth Road Bridge and managed to hit around ooh24kph as I came down the other side (usually it's around 45). Looking at metcheck, the whole week's looking breezy. Is this it for the next few months?

ooh naughty boy, there's a 15mph limit for bikes :smile::ohmy::ohmy:
(which i accidentally took for a minimum speed limit the one time i crossed it ;))
according to the wireless speedo, i suddenly went from 9mph to 192mph crossing one of the bridge support bits…

gavintc

Guru
I just cycled (was blown) back into the city from Linlithgow at an average speed of 34kph. It was a great fast ride, keeping with the traffic down the Queensferry Road.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
ooh naughty boy, there's a 15mph limit for bikes

but the signage is hard to read now, cannae say i`ve ever sat at 15mph unless in to a very strong NW or SE :biggrin:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
yer looks like a car day for me on thurs, hope to at least get try out my new fixed wheel on Friday !

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

CarnageAX said:
I got blown off on my bike today.

Really?? I've never heard of anyone actually being blown off their bike! Qualitas if it's true! (and hope you're ok natch).

Cheers for the heads up for tomorrow folks, holy dungballs there's no way I'm going over the bridge in THAT! I can hear the wizard of oz twister music as I type!:biggrin:

Contrastingly today was GLORIOUS. Days like today completely replenish my love for cycling.

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

gavintc said:
I just cycled (was blown) back into the city from Linlithgow at an average speed of 34kph. It was a great fast ride, keeping with the traffic down the Queensferry Road.

Gav, I now join the A8 at Newbridge and have been getting blown into the Gyle for the last wee while. Tremendous! I reckon I've averaged between 35 and 40kph from that point on in my commute, compared with my usual 25 - 30 average. Crackin. Until hometime obviously!!

Do you commute to Linlithgow or was it a one-off? Just interested in how long it would take - that's a hell of a commute especially into the prevailing wind.

gavintc

Guru
Tetedelacourse said:
Gav, I now join the A8 at Newbridge and have been getting blown into the Gyle for the last wee while. Tremendous! I reckon I've averaged between 35 and 40kph from that point on in my commute, compared with my usual 25 - 30 average. Crackin. Until hometime obviously!!

Do you commute to Linlithgow or was it a one-off? Just interested in how long it would take - that's a hell of a commute especially into the prevailing wind.

I cheat as I work in Glasgow, take the bike on the train from Haymarket to Glasgow and then in the evening the train from glasgow to Linlithgow and then cycle the rest. I work close to Queen St and live very very close to Haymarket. It is a 26km journey and always takes me less than the hour, even taking time to get myself set up and then carrying the bike up 3 flights.

I have been doing it pretty regularly about 4 times a week for the last 6 weeks since I moved to Edinburgh. I definitely feel better for it.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Hairy Jock said:
Thursday and Friday look like they are going to be fun:biggrin:

Now there's a name I've not seen on these forums for a while. You settled into your new house ?

I've decided that tomorrow is a no-no cycling day. The last two days cycling into the wind from Leith to the Gyle have been hard going, but tomorrow really looks to be a bit excessive !! It'd be great with wind that speed behind me on the way home, but since most of the route's on tree-lined paths, there's always the risk of being cracked on the head by falling branches (or indeed trees). Quite a few have toppled over this year already without any high winds, so I expect a few more to be blocking the path come Friday !

Top Bottom