A bit confused about cycling "tops"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been using hillwalking base layers, both long and short sleeved, and long sleeved thin fleeces. Trouble is they're not really windproof, so after layering up, I've tended to resort to a budget, non breathable, cycling boil-in-the-bag waterproof. And boiling in the bag.

Does anybody know if there any well stocked shops in the Derby / Leicester / Nottingham / Birmingham area where I can actually see, touch and try a good range of clothing and speak to a knowledgeable human please? For example, I really don't understand the difference between a £30 and a £90 jersey.

If it matters, I'm more at the "touring" end of the cycling population so all day rides are commonplace. I'm intending to go for hi-viz garments if possible, and can't imagine being seen dead in anything bearing logos associated with "team" and "racing"!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do you have a Decathlon. They have a great selection of tops and the labels tell you what the top does - some winter weight ones are windproof, and you'll just need a base layer with one of these, even on a freezing day. The staff are usually helpful.

Tin Pot

Guru
I really don't understand the difference between a £30 and a £90 jersey.

Breathability
Thermal
Wind restance
Water resistance

Your £30 will get you varying levels of the above characteristics, your £90 will get you higher values in the ones you're after.

byegad

Legendary Member
A Gilet with a mesh back and impervious front is a big help for your problem. There are a lot on the market that are either windproof all around, or not windproof at all so careful shopping means I now have 4 in different colours and all be different manufacturers!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
There is one West of Nottingham, probably half an hour away. Thanks.

And the prices won't make your eyes water. Call in Evans and you won't see a top under £50. Decathlon do different 'grades' 3,5,7 for example - the higher the number, the more stuff the top has/does (that's non technical speak).
Giltbrook decathlon is fantastic and as @fossyant said their prices are very good, they also have a good range of camping/hiking / running gear too .
Got some shorts the other week for £25 a pair that are one of the best i have had .

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've tried Decathlon gear but I don't have the belly to fill the rather "relaxed " cut of the clothes! I prefer a more tailored fit.

Top Bottom