A bit confused about cycling "tops"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A Gilet with a mesh back and impervious front is a big help for your problem. There are a lot on the market that are either windproof all around, or not windproof at all so careful shopping means I now have 4 in different colours and all be different manufacturers!
I'm a big fan of gilets. I have a heavy duty one with some padding for extra warmth, and a very light one which can be scrunched up into a bag the size of a medium sized apple.

I can't see the point of a gilet which is not windproof!

I echo the gilet comments. Got the highest number (9 I think) from Decathlon last year and it's the one item that I have that really makes the difference for me. Enough to keep me warm from the wind without boiling me whole.

@graham bowers, I might have even worn it when we rode together last month!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
+Decathlon.

If you fancy splashing a few bob (or someone else is buying) and aren't too stout, take a look at the Castelli Gabba jacket. The price is eye-watering but it's the best, most flexible bit of clothing I own - solidly windproof, will handle a shower and works well from just above freezing to mid-to-high teens without getting clammy. You can find them in boutiquey bike shops at RRP, but Wiggle et all often have them with a discount. Go up about 2 sizes from your normal fit (i.e. I'm usually a medium but an XL in Castelli tops).

Ajax Bay

Guru
A Gilet with a mesh back and impervious front is a big help for your problem.
I have been using 'Funkier' (brand) gilets for many thousand km: translucent and 'windproof' front, orange coloured fine mesh back with reflective bits and a good central pocket - circa £35. I can wear it comfortably in a wide temperature range and it folds up small when the weather smiles.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've been using hillwalking base layers, both long and short sleeved, and long sleeved thin fleeces. Trouble is they're not really windproof, so after layering up, I've tended to resort to a budget, non breathable, cycling boil-in-the-bag waterproof. And boiling in the bag.
As a tourer, I keep with the general active/walking bases, tops and fleeces and just put a cycling-specific jacket over the top. The main benefit of cycling-specific tops if not leaning forwards aggressively is that they have pockets on the back where the contents don't bobble around so much as you pedal.

I can't see the point of a gilet which is not windproof!
Because it's warm and lovely without the colder touch of a windproof one. Ideal for wearing off the bike IMO.

Top Bottom