A bit mad out there

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LOGAN 5

With so little traffic even in rush hour and the overheated motorists sweating in their little metal boxes has anybody noticed that there are quite a few really idiotic drivers racing around town at silly speeds? Give them a bit of clear road and they've floored it.

Had some really bad swerving overtakes at speed. Just yesterday a huge articulated lorry drove up the wrong side of the road just as a group of cyclists had legitimately crossed into the road from a green light. He just barged his way through. All went on his inside - yuk, I stayed back but got caught behind him until he turned off. Lorries pulling off from kerbs with no indication.

Huge number of cyclists which is a good thing of course but quite a lot of them have no idea what they're doing. No signalling, no looking behind, no checking before they turn off left or right, undertaking, passing too close, endless.

No change in black cab behaviour, at least they're consistently vengeful so there are no surprises there.

Maybe when traffic "resumes" as normal in September they'll be forced to slow down.

LOGAN 5 said:
No change in black cab behaviour, at least they're consistently vengeful so there are no surprises there.
I managed to get a change in Black Cab behaviour I think ;) Her they have the habbit of drawing into the ASL. Cyling allong the other day was typical behaviour twice the cab in front did, it doen't relly bother me as I usually sit behind and draft them anyway. The 3rd time he actually pulled to the side a bit hopefully to let me through.

The roads are strangely quiet here just now the Schools went back on Monday (some Tuesday) but they are still quiet.

HobbesChoice

Generally I find black cabs are fine once you sort of "prove yourself" which I know shouldn't be necessary but you can understand they get frustrated with so many RLJers and mad cyclists in London etc.

I did come across a particularly vengeful one first thing this morning though. A bus stopped suddenly in front of me and as I went to go around it (6am and nothing coming the other way) this cab driver pulled back in too quickly almost hitting me. Further up the road he lets his fare out of the car so I hold back feeling like the close shave was deliberate but he stayed where he was (in the meantime the fella in his cab has walked across the road and is quite a way up the street). Right up to the point I went to overtake him when he pulled out on me! At the traffic lights I tried to talk to him but he wouldn't acknowledge me. The lights turn green and he sits and waits for me to go - possibly for another "close miss" !?!?!?! I've come across some bad behaviour but this driver seemed intent on either intimidating me or hurting me, and my money would be on the latter!

I've taken his number plate and will report him but I didn't get his official licence number which I'm hoping won't be a problem.

Have the odd bad day with cabs and buses but oh well 5h1t happens.

Noticed the peds have started dressing like tarts.:biggrin:

Bit of warm weather and we all turn into tarts.;)

OP
OP
L

LOGAN 5

I generally treat black cabs with extreme caution. Keeping away from them if possible and letting them go first to avoid the inevitable intimidation and bad driving which follows. Mind I did overtake one and call him a pig this morning for a selfish nasty and dangerous bit of driving.

It doesn't seem to be random or accidental. They see a cyclist like a red rag to a bull. Some of them (not all I know and shouldn't generalise) must drive around all day in London enjoying finding cyclists to bully and harrass. It's obvious in their driving style and the manoeuvres they carry out. They're behaviour is too consistent and frequent for it to be accidental or an occasional mistake.

I personally haven't come across another group of drivers who behave like this towards cyclists eg buses, vans, lorries etc.

Blackandblue

HobbesChoice said:
Generally I find black cabs are fine once you sort of "prove yourself" which I know shouldn't be necessary but you can understand they get frustrated with so many RLJers and mad cyclists in London etc.

I did come across a particularly vengeful one first thing this morning though. A bus stopped suddenly in front of me and as I went to go around it (6am and nothing coming the other way) this cab driver pulled back in too quickly almost hitting me. Further up the road he lets his fare out of the car so I hold back feeling like the close shave was deliberate but he stayed where he was (in the meantime the fella in his cab has walked across the road and is quite a way up the street). Right up to the point I went to overtake him when he pulled out on me! At the traffic lights I tried to talk to him but he wouldn't acknowledge me. The lights turn green and he sits and waits for me to go - possibly for another "close miss" !?!?!?! I've come across some bad behaviour but this driver seemed intent on either intimidating me or hurting me, and my money would be on the latter!

I've taken his number plate and will report him but I didn't get his official licence number which I'm hoping won't be a problem.

If you report him to the PCO, they'll tell you that they don't deal with traffic infringements and refer you to the Police - who won't do anything either unless you're complaining that the cabbie killed you.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
User1314 said:
"Urban Fox Property Development" transit van yesterday. Caramel covered van with fox prints all over it. Kept me company all the way from Balham to Colliers Wood.

Sweet smell of ganja wafting out. Driver with a massive, massive, MASSIVE spliff in hand. And I mean MASSIVE.

Smell him from afar.

Report the driver.

Druggie, end of.

stoptherock

I very nearly had an off, going through the cathedral close, open top Merc is creeping out of the car park on the right, the driver looking toward me, not indicating, turns right, then leans and rummages on the seat next to her and keeps coming!

I'm only doing about 10 mph, just had time to shout a Whoah! Norman Wisdom style and dive to the left.

She stopped less than a foot from my leg, and then stayed behind me all the way to where the close meets Tombland. All sorts of swears occurred to me afterwards. Partly my fault for not anticipating doziness.

thomas

the tank engine
Went for a quiet ride before lunch today. Got towards the end of a road...it's a 30, quiet road, but it is massive. You could easily fit 3/4 rows of cars across it.

Anyway, get to the end and this van is coming over to my side of the road. There isn't any reason for this has he has about 5 meters from him and the kerb. I start to cycle towards the middle of road to make him aware he was drifting over. He realises and pulls back into his side of the road.

It all made sense when I saw the phone in his hand!

And on the subject of close shaves, getting overtaken too closely by a Virgin Media van would make a good video. They have "Near Miss" written, in massive letters on the side - referring to their hard disk recording service I think, but if there drivers didn't behave it could be misinterpreted ;)

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
stoptherock said:
I very nearly had an off, going through the cathedral close, open top Merc is creeping out of the car park on the right, the driver looking toward me, not indicating, turns right, then leans and rummages on the seat next to her and keeps coming!

I'm only doing about 10 mph, just had time to shout a Whoah! Norman Wisdom style and dive to the left.

She stopped less than a foot from my leg, and then stayed behind me all the way to where the close meets Tombland. All sorts of swears occurred to me afterwards. Partly my fault for not anticipating doziness.
This is Norwich - am I correct?

stoptherock

Correct. I ride from Thorpe Hamlet to the Golden Triangle so I do Gas Hill, The Close, Pottergate all the way to Stafford Street.

Top Bottom