A bit of a computery question re: Choosing Desktops...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

...since one of my interests is graphics and photography I'm kind of thinking about a new desktop as my macbook (bless it) is a superb machine in many ways but doesn't quite have the necessary grunt for running several things at the same time -

To this end although I'm quite tempted, I'm also not wholly convinced that a big Mac desktop is the way to go and was thinking perhaps about the 'other' side and PCs...trouble is that I've got no idea what brand of off-the-shelf (I can't be bothered building my own) PC would A: Be powerful enough B: Not cost the earth!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

SamNichols

Melvil - have you thought about any of the compatibility issues and the fact that you would have to buy software in 2 forms, thus doubling the software costs? I have a macbook, which I love, but all the uni desktops are PCs, it can be a bit of 'mare sometimes, and means that I have to be very aware as to what programme I am using and which format I am saving into.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

SamNichols said:
Melvil - have you thought about any of the compatibility issues and the fact that you would have to buy software in 2 forms, thus doubling the software costs? I have a macbook, which I love, but all the uni desktops are PCs, it can be a bit of 'mare sometimes, and means that I have to be very aware as to what programme I am using and which format I am saving into.

I hear you Sam, I hear you, but as it would only be graphics programs I'd be running (and the occasional game :biggrin:) I don't think there'd be too much overlap.

If you get a PC you are stuck with Microsoft operating systems by and large, but an Intel Mac allows both to be run. I would be wary indeed of returning to MS, having run Mac OSX for 4 years or more. Chacon a son gout.

SamNichols

I've never had a mac. Never needed one. What would justify the extra cost for a standard user?

For a similar spec, my laptop was no more expensive than big name PC counterparts, and it is far more stable than any PC i have ever used. It never crashes, ever. For me, that justified what was a fairly minimal extra cost.

davidwalton

I've never had a mac. Never needed one. What would justify the extra cost for a standard user?

Better made, last much longer on average, far fewer issues requiring a techie, far fewer internet issues, inc viruses.

They might cost more up front, but over the life of a Mac, they are no more expensive than a good PC, and often cheaper.

My old G4 Mac is much faster than my newish PC. Anything to do with Graphics and the Mac wins.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
If you want graphics, either build it yourself or buy a good custom built PC from ebuyer or somewhere and supe it up. You could seriously supe it up by putting a Ge-force 8800 or Ge-force 9 in it, get the latest perpendicular hard drives from seagate. A inspiron might not be powerful enough. Dell are usually cheap skates and put in midrange cards like the 8400 and 8600s. It's been quite good for dell recently as ATIs latest additions make them look more appealing.

marinyork

This mac boasting is meaningless. If I were to run HD material on some linux programmes it only runs on one core and run better than windoze does on 2 cores. One can say it about a lot of things.

davidwalton

See, that's the thing. I've never had a real problem with my pcs, and I've never paid more than £400 for one.

They've always become outdated before they've worn out. And that's after the upgrade opportunities that you don't often get with a Mac.

I'm not saying that they're not better, and I like the idea of having one. But so far I'd never have been better off with one, either financially or technically.

Outdated? My G4 Mac would be considered outdated by PC terms, but is still faster than all but the fastest of PC's. It isn't wearing out either.

The upgrade features PC manufacturers provide are generally a waste of money, unless to overcome a specific bottleneck.

With PC's, I have had hardware problems, as well as MS problems, throughout, and I mean since PC's first came on to the market. With Macs, hardware issues I have had, but only after a number of years.

The only advantage a PC has over a MAC is there are more people who understand the workings of PC's. However, that also means there are more idiots writing foul viruses to take advantage of the holes MS keep in their systems and programs.

If you are a user that only uses for the odd email and game, then PC's are fine. If you are sitting in front of a screen a lot, then I prefer the MAC every time. It is nicer, more user friendly, and I don't have to use MS products AT ALL, plus the reasons given before;)

marinyork

Bottlenecks are THE most important thing. To lightly brush them off is rather amusing. Apple are a big evil company too remember :biggrin:

davidwalton

marinyork said:
Bottlenecks are THE most important thing. To lightly brush them off is rather amusing. Apple are a big evil company too remember :biggrin:

MS is the main reason for PC support staff requirements in most large companies, so I like them for that :biggrin:

davidwalton

Yup. Outdated before they've worn out.

Not sure what you mean about PC upgrades being useless, seeing as you can replace everything inside the case should you need to.

Still nothing there that would give me an advantage if I had a Mac. I'm not a gamer, but use the PC for everything else.

I had a company say the same thing about upgrades until I ran time performance checks on a number of upgrades. Upgrading was a waste of money then, and unless you have a specific bottleneck, is a waste of money now.

Changing the processor on it's own probably will require a new Motherboard, and that will probably need a different power source and RAM. Only thing not upgrading then is a case and drives. If the upgrade processor doesn't need an upgrade Motherboard, then it is likely you will see no difference in general performance.

If you are happy with a PC, then fine. It is just that the MAC does provide a cost effective alternative.

davidwalton

Do mac users know to just turn it on and off again then, thus saving them the trouble of ringing the IT crowd?:biggrin:

They know where the on/off switch is. Some don't know how to use it though:biggrin:

One company I worked in had equal numbers of PC's and MAC's. 99% of all support calls were PC related. It was great to get a MAC support call for a change.

SamNichols

You say potato, we say potato. Throughout the midsts of time, there are two inane arguments: PCs versus Macs and Jaffa Cake: Biscuit or Cake? Neither will ever be resolved, and one always feels a bit grotty after having participated in one. If you want a mac, then buy a mac. if you don't then buy a pc. If you don't want either then buy a nintendo wii.

Top Bottom