a bit of advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulb_72

Regular
hello all,

i have set myself a goal to do the london to brighton cycle ride next year,i have been training now for 2 weeks,im eating all the right things and out on my bike,i have lost half a stone so far in 2 weeks (which im quite happy about),i've still got a long journey ahead of me to get to the weight im aiming for.

my question is can any of you pro cyclists give me any special advice on training to get myself ready for the 54 mile ride,i haven't been on a bike since i was a kid,(im 39 now).

thank you in advance for any advice.

paul.

MoG

Veteran
Hi Paul,

Firstly, welcome to the site and congratulations on a)getting yourself back on a bike, and b) setting yourself a realistic target both in distance and in training time for the event.

I am sure far more knowledgable people will be here soon with some tip top advice.

In the meantime, as I am sure you are aware the best training you can do is cycle, cycle and more cycle! You dont say how far you are riding, type of bike, current or target weight etc.

Well done on losing weight so quickly, but be careful you dont lose too much too fast, or you may lose more muscle than fat (again, experts on here will give comprehensive info, I am sure). Although you say you are eating all the right things, you may be surprised at the calories you burn on a long(ish) ride.

54 miles should be an okay distance for someone who is reasonably fit and healthy. I have known people to do this distance with no training beforehand, although I think you are very wise to get in cycling shape before the event.

Well done, and the best of luck in your riding!

Bobtoo

Über Member
It's not much help but you sound almost exactly like me. I'm 43, have been training for about the same time, I've lost about the same amount of weight and I'm aiming to do a similar run next year (Edinburgh to St Andrews- 67 miles).

For what it's worth I can tell you my strategy, which I am already seeing benefits from.

Find a circular route that's a slight struggle for you and concentrate on getting better at it. When it becomes easy find a longer/harder one.

Don't worry too much about speed. Just concentrate on keeping moving. When you feel like stopping change down and slow down. You get a real boost as you cycle past places you previously had to stop. The speed will come.

Keep at it and don't put yourself off by trying to do too much too soon. Once you stop enjoying it you're at risk of giving up.

I bought a handlebar mount for my Garmin Etrex GPS, which I already owned, to keep track of my distance and average speed on each run. I don't keep a database or anything, but it lets me see if I'm improving (which I am :biggrin: )

I certainly feel confident that what I'm doing will get me more than ready for the Edinburgh/ St Andrews run next June.

I'll look forward to seeing your progress.

I am 38 and a smoker; I just completed a 6 day tour of 470 miles.... It was about 70-80 miles a day with 25kg's of weight. I just went out everyday beforehand as part of my training. Nothing too silly though. About 6-10 miles a day. I had no problems on my ride with such minimal training!!! You should be fine. I would try and do a couple of longer distances before the big day though... Pick a route and a day to do something like 20 miles; You should be able to do that in around 2 hrs...:thumbsup:. Keep a log of your times and you will soon see your times tumble. You should start stretching before and after these sessions too,this will prevent your legs from seizing up!!! Buy some tracker/energy bars. I take stuff with chocolate on as the sugar gives you extra energy. Pace yourself though as its not a race and hydrate all the time!!! You have plenty of time before the big day to be fully confident.

Good luck with it and i am sure you will be fine :thumbsup:

OP
OP
P

paulb_72

Regular
thanks to you all for the advice,i've lost another 3lb so things are going well,i have only been doing about 6 miles a day on my bike but yesterday i managed 12,so im getting there.

thanks again.

Top Bottom