A bit of fun for all you gadget freaks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
mechanical calculator.jpeg
Ever wondered what's inside an old fashioned mechanical calculator?

More pictures here....
http://kevintwomey.com/calculators.html

How on earth could anybody even begin to design something like that?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I have a strange love of Typewriters, printing presses and Counting machines, In fact I own one of these
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRunVisI87Hodjo29RBlHORl0SCfKfVX3FReJ9Xc91g6OAla3S4.jpg
(Olivetti) and some other bits and bobs. Thanks for sharing.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
View attachment 74100
Utterly and completely bonkers really!

These look like Robocop's slippers.

GC

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Is it Faber Castell or one of those bamboo jobbies whose name escapes me?

Edit: Sun Hemmi

It's neither of those though I did have a Faber Castell. When I peeked in geekiness I used to participate in slide rule calculation competitions that my sixth form physics teacher used to organise. We used to talc the grooves to minimise friction on our slip sticks and stop the jumping past the aimed values which required correction and slowing down the calculations.

KneesUp

Guru
I remember using them in school around 1970. They weighed a ton when you had to pick them up, but they made the most wonderful sound when you turned the
Handle. It sounded like lots of gears all moving into place. I loved that sound. I know, im a sad person :shy:
I had one - booty from helping my form tutor clear out the mystery cupboard in our form room. I also got an O-level physics text book that was way more in-depth and interesting than the GCSE one I was supposed to use.

It was a lovely thing - I think my dad had it on his desk at work at one stage but I don't know what happened to it. They were bloomin' heavy, you're right. Not very comfortable cycling home from school with one in a rucksack.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I had one - booty from helping my form tutor clear out the mystery cupboard in our form room. I also got an O-level physics text book that was way more in-depth and interesting than the GCSE one I was supposed to use.

It was a lovely thing - I think my dad had it on his desk at work at one stage but I don't know what happened to it. They were bloomin' heavy, you're right. Not very comfortable cycling home from school with one in a rucksack.

It's amazing how you can go from that to a calculator that is no bigger than a credit card and is powered by solar energy.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It's neither of those though I did have a Faber Castell. When I peeked in geekiness I used to participate in slide rule calculation competitions that my sixth form physics teacher used to organise. We used to talc the grooves to minimise friction on our slip sticks and stop the jumping past the aimed values which required correction and slowing down the calculations.
"Pre-talced and Mighty" ??????

Top Bottom