A bit of plaster advice please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I've been tasked with repairing a bannister that's come away from the wall, one of the brackets has pulled away bringing the plaster with it and there's now a hole where the bracket used to be fixed.

Assuming I used one of the small ready mixed type pots to fill it, how long do I realistically need to leave it before I can drill it to fit new plugs to secure the bannister again?

Jameshow

Veteran
When it changes colour. It will start off damp and a darker colour and then change to a lighter colour when dry.

I would guess 24h per cm depth.

Make sure whatever you fill it with is drillable.
One Strike Filler will fail if you try and drill it.

Pollyfilla is drillable and will be touch dry within 24hrs but takes a week or so to fully harden. It’s not as strong as sheet plaster so don’t put heavy duty rawl plugs in as they’ll make it fail. DAMHIKT!

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
If the hole isn't that big, I'd consider using polyester resin as a filler. It cures really quickly and is very tough.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-r-kem-ii-styrene-free-polyester-resin-300ml/32863

^^^^^^^ This cartridge fits a cheap standard mastic frame gun.

That looks tempting.

CXRAndy

Guru
Some sort of solid fixture to brick or a hard resin. If you fix the mounting on top of plaster or filler, there is a good chance the filler will crush and break down, loosening the handrail. This all depends on the type of handrail fixing. Thats why you sometimes see ahndrails fixed to w wooden plate, ehich has been screwed in many places to give a wider base to attach the hand rail mounts to

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you decide on polyster resin, it's important to brush/vacuum out any loose dust before you gun it in. Keep the resin slightly back from the surface of the plaster and make the last 1mm or so good with pretty much anything before decorating.

Top Bottom