A Bradley Wiggins wannabe (not)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
Yesterday was one of those great days to get out cycling. The roads were quiet, the weather was perfect and i felt really good.
I managed a 50 mile loop, and the strong winds by a miracle somehow changed direction all the way round that remained behind me pushing me along at supersonic speeds.
I did however though get a little to confident and almost had an off.
The section in question, was a very flat smooth bit of road and the tail wind was really blowing a fair rate of knots. I felt like a teenager tearing along, being able to crank up some constant speeds of around 30mph.
The fly in the ointment through was the mini roundabout..It was one of those that was just a blob of white paint at a junction.
I really didn't want it to interrupt my impressive pace so i checked it out well in advanced for traffic before tackling it. All was good and clear and continued like a demented idiot i am. As i exited it, i instantly knew i was going to fast and the curb was getting way to close for comfort. The bike was already leaning beyond my capabilities and felt banking over more would leave me sliding down the road on my arris.
How i got through it with out going arse over head is anybodies guess. With being a newbie to clipless peddles this didn't help either lol.
After panic struck in i stopped quickly to catch my breath and reflect on my stupidity. This was when an elderly chap walking his dog came past and just said one word to me,"IDIOT"
Can't argue with that i thought and replied with an embarrassing "yes"
I should know better now at my age that riding should be a case of enjoying life at a more sedate level, but sometimes i just can't resist being the village idiot in trying to disprove physics 🙄
International Wally brains of the year? You may well agree and i don't blame you 🙄

Clipped pedals may have helped as your weight didn't shift in panic, I've seen lots of people get very unstable, very quickly! by unclipping with a panic jerk. If you think sticking your leg out a bit will make a difference you really are on the edge!
Better to let it slide and go off low, than collect the kerb and catapult high.
Riding like that is like Froome in any case (as he has trouble staying on).

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
That's a good point. As i was righting up the post, it kind of got me thinking as whether being clipped in actually saved my bacon without realising it 💭🤔

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hi.
Yesterday was one of those great days to get out cycling. The roads were quiet, the weather was perfect and i felt really good.
I managed a 50 mile loop, and the strong winds by a miracle somehow changed direction all the way round that remained behind me pushing me along at supersonic speeds.
I did however though get a little to confident and almost had an off.
The section in question, was a very flat smooth bit of road and the tail wind was really blowing a fair rate of knots. I felt like a teenager tearing along, being able to crank up some constant speeds of around 30mph.
The fly in the ointment through was the mini roundabout..It was one of those that was just a blob of white paint at a junction.
I really didn't want it to interrupt my impressive pace so i checked it out well in advanced for traffic before tackling it. All was good and clear and continued like a demented idiot i am. As i exited it, i instantly knew i was going to fast and the curb was getting way to close for comfort. The bike was already leaning beyond my capabilities and felt banking over more would leave me sliding down the road on my arris.
How i got through it with out going arse over head is anybodies guess. With being a newbie to clipless peddles this didn't help either lol.
After panic struck in i stopped quickly to catch my breath and reflect on my stupidity. This was when an elderly chap walking his dog came past and just said one word to me,"IDIOT"
Can't argue with that i thought and replied with an embarrassing "yes"
I should know better now at my age that riding should be a case of enjoying life at a more sedate level, but sometimes i just can't resist being the village idiot in trying to disprove physics 🙄
International Wally brains of the year? You may well agree and i don't blame you 🙄
Just need to learn to corner better.:okay:

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Cheers buddy 👍🙂

Top Bottom