A Chain For a 6 Speed Freewheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
I want to fit a new chain to a 6 speed freewheel but I am finding it hard to find a chain online that will do the job

I have been looking at a 8 speed Sram PC850 chain from Evans cycles could I fit that to my 6 speed freewheel ? if not what got quality chain would you recommend that would last a few thousand miles or more

And help and advice on the subject please

midlife

Guru
SJS generally have bits that go with older bikes..

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chains-5-6-7-8-speed/

Shaun

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
Is your old freewheel Shimano Uniglide or Hyperglide? If the freewheel is old and worn you might have problems with the new chain skipping.

Shaun

Going a bit of the subject here but I thought that Uniglide and Hyperglide was something that you found on a cassette not a freewheel

midlife

Guru
Uniglide freewheels do exist but don't crop up often..... I've got a couple somewhere

Shimano_600_UniGlide_6-Speed_Freewheel_13x18_05.JPG

s-l300.jpg

Shaun

tyred

Legendary Member
Any 3/32" derailleur chain will do.

Just a thought but if it is older freewheel with plain sprocket teeth with no cutaways or ramps (Regina, Atom, Cyclo etc), you'd probably be better with a cheap basic chain with protruding rivets as the rivets catch the sprockets to change to the next sprocket up. That's how it was supposed to work back in the day. I use ETC, they're cheap enough from Ebay.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
We used to call such a thing a "corn cob block".
I know, my most 'extreme' cassette is a 12-23 Campy one on the 653 TT bike, that is 1 tooth difference for the first 8 and 2 teeth for the lowest 2

DSCN0058.JPG

EDIT - The handlebars ended up like that cos I couldn't get on with the 'Aero' bars I'd fitted and most of the time I rode the bike was in the evenings so the lights fit onto the bar extender. Looks a weird set up but it is comfortable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom