A Change From Slicks To Knobby Tires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
I have just made the change from slick tires to knobby tires and the change in the comfort the knobby gives me is amazing when I hit bumps or rough patches on the road on my commute to and from work

Have you made the change ? if you did let us know about it

Only ever gone from knobbly's to slicks myself.

Stating the obvious now, tyres are designed for purpose, and knobbly's are not designed for road use, so take care out there.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
What's the comparative widths and pressures of the tyres?

These are what makes the difference in comfort between tyres rather than the rubber lumps on them. My tourer has been shod with anything from high pressure 25s down to 35mm touring tyres (and CX tyres) and the larger tyres have always been a bit more comfy than the smaller ones (though slower) as they run at lower pressure and have a lot of air space.

Watch out cornering and stopping with the knobblys, they have less grip on the road than a slicker tyre. They are also harder work.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
as mcshroom said. The difference is actually in the volume of air that the tyres hold. A larger tyre holds more air and as such is more comfortable to ride on. It goes in hand that you also usually run a larger tyre at less pressure.

young Ed

Veteran
knobblies have a lot more rolling resistance with the road, some claim the difference between knobblies and slicks can be up to 5-6mph!
also knobblies tend to crack on the side walls when ridden on road so be careful
Cheers Ed

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
knobblies have a lot more rolling resistance with the road, some claim the difference between knobblies and slicks can be up to 5-6mph!
also knobblies tend to crack on the side walls when ridden on road so be careful
Cheers Ed

I manage about 36mph on a couple of hills around here on Conti CXSpeeds. Compact gearset too.

young Ed

Veteran
I manage about 36mph on a couple of hills around here on Conti CXSpeeds. Compact gearset too.
how wide?
they are only slightly knobbly though i was on about the difference between real knobbly proper MTB tyres and road bike skinny tyres
Cheers Ed

Hip Priest

Veteran

And how fast on the way down?

Bodhbh

Guru
I have just made the change from slick tires to knobby tires and the change in the comfort the knobby gives me is amazing when I hit bumps or rough patches on the road on my commute to and from work

Have you made the change ? if you did let us know about it

I've you like the ride of the knobblies it really sounds like you want to run something like Big Apples, which have a slick tread for the road, but huge volume for crashing about over potholes etc. The knobbles just create alot of work, wear out in no time on the road, and corner horribly. I've been running them over the winter commute and really like the ride, tho the main downside is accelerating is seriously hard work - I am not a happy man stopping at junctions, red lights and giving way.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus

Kookas

Über Member
i see a CX type tyre, could be good if we get a hard winter to chuck on my cummuter for example
Cheers Ed

The last thing you want in cold, wet, icy conditions is even less grip from excessive tread IMO. You're not going to hydroplane on a bike, so tread is only needed if you're heading off-road.

young Ed

Veteran
The last thing you want in cold, wet, icy conditions is even less grip from excessive tread IMO. You're not going to hydroplane on a bike, so tread is only needed if you're heading off-road.
less grip from more tread??? am i missing something here?

i was talking about riding in snow (i have to ride all year round)
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom