A close call with 2 time trialists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Understand the situation they're in, that is racing so maybe having their concentration focussed in a particular place, not wanting to upset their aero, taking a particular line etc. Then prepare to take action to mitigate it.
That's the best argument I've ever heard for banning time trials on the public highway. It would go down a storm on Safe Speed or Piston Heads.

winjim

Smash the cistern
That's the best argument I've ever heard for banning time trials on the public highway. It would go down a storm on Safe Speed or Piston Heads.

Well I have the same attitude to seeing a car with a ridiculous body kit and tinted windows although I have more sympathy for the cyclists as I think they're doing something a bit worthier than just posing.

viniga

Guru
Hey @Brandane,

I was in that race, I know that route well and have raced it on many occasions. It is hosted by GTR Return to Life if you want to contact them. NB I'm pretty sure it wasn't me as I looked and as I know the route well. I changed lanes as soon as the split happens precisely so car drivers know what I am doing... but you will have to take my word for that!

On some of the other points raised here:
  • We are losing courses in the TT scene (discussed in another thread) and more TTs are being held on fast dual carriageways which at first sight seems risky... and I accept the optics with the haters are not good but actually...
    • Sight lines for competitors and drivers are good on this courses, there is loads of space to pass, only one turn. The race is always held during times of low traffic volumes and marshalled and signed.
    • You can compare that with country lanes with blind corners and high hedges, poor surfaces and farm traffic
  • In this particular course, this junction is a known and noted hazard (on the risk assessment) which is why it is marshalled. Riders can sometimes panic when they realise they are going off-course and do something that puts them at risk such as suddenly correcting as you described. Ultimately it is their responsibility to ride according to the rules of the road but panic plus racing head often = bad decisions
FWIW first time I rode this course I sh*t myself as I felt like I was racing on a motorway... since then and as I have become more experienced with the different courses I actually feel much safer here than on many others that take place on minor roads. I well know a collision will likely have only one rather poor outcome for me but the likelihood in my opinion is so low I take the risk. Having raced there for 6 years now the only incident I am aware of was when someone fell off cause they didn't tighten their tribars enough.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
so cyclists

are you suggesting that all vehicles that see a cyclist in lane 1 should filter into lane 3 so said cyclist can continue with his hobby ? That is gonna make us popular isn’t it

Not what I said. I was describing how I might overake a car, and specifically when approaching a junction. Your extrapolation to overtaking all bikes is a bit weird.

The motorway version of the scenario is below (clockwise M25).
Lane 1 is about to change into an exit for the M3. The white car in that lane MUST move out to lane 2 if it wants to stay in the M25. It might even signal, but not all drivers do. Late swerves aren't unsual.
Surely child's play to anticipate this, which is why I was surprised when @Alex321 seemed to suggest otherwise.
And when I spelled out the risk Alex said:
Yes, but I wouldn't hesitate to stay in the 2nd lane if there was a car in the first lane not indicating they wanted to pull out. There are a few junctions like that on the M4 in this area.
Oh dear, it's not anticipation if you have to wait for their signal. Read the road!
I move over to lane 3 if it's clear, because that leaves a safe space for the lane 1 people if they want to move out.

I'm sharing the road, not being territorial. It's safer and it's courteous.
Share the road nicely, people.

1711149549551.png

Top Bottom