A close call

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
I don't mind close passes (sometimes). If the driver has seen you and has slowed and considerate when passing, this is acceptable to me. Some of the back roads in Kent are so narrow that this is the only option.

In your example, if I could see that there wasn't enough room for a safe cross, then I would have moved further into the centre of the road, well in advance of the pinch point, until the driver alters his speed/direction in recognition of you. Then I would back towards the kerb and hopefully a safe pass.

Regardless of the highway code the cyclist has to give way, to stay safe. No good being in the "right" and being hit.

Ajax Bay

Guru
In your example, if I could see that there wasn't enough room for a safe cross, then I would have moved further into the centre of the road, well in advance of the pinch point, until the driver alters his speed/direction in recognition of you. Then I would back towards the kerb and hopefully a safe pass.
Regardless of the highway code the cyclist has to give way, to stay safe. No good being in the "right" and being hit.
In your example, if I could see that there wasn't enough room for a safe cross, then I would have braked and kept close to moved . . . the kerb.
. . . the cyclist has to give way, to stay safe: no good moving further into the centre of the road and being in the "right", and being hit.
Ride defensively, adopting the 'primary position' only when reasonable (as a message to those behind rather than those approaching: playing 'chicken' has limited merit). Even then be prepared for MGIFs passing without due care / recklessly, and a follower tailgating the MGIF.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
No I did a touch on the video but they didn't so just wanted some advice. I asked here as I thought reporting it was the right thing to do but the Police website says be prepared to go to court etc etc and in my opinion it's a bit worrying!

If your not willing to be a witness, if necessary, then I dont see the point in submitting it. It makes me wonder why you have bothered with a camera. Everybody has the right to question their accuser.

Falsesummat

I would have stopped and probably leaned towards the path. 80 kg vs 1500 kg , id rather not get injured or worse regardless of anything else

Jameshow

Veteran
I would probably stopped a waved my hands in the air showing my frustration!

It's not worth going into dangerous situations and getting knocked off tbh..

Also I have then made the driver aware of my annoyance...

Mike_P

Guru
Happens with cars etc. A driver either not looking ahead properly (do they need a sight test?) or misreading the gaps between parked vehicles. Generally I have noted recently a trend of drivers being overly cautious, had a couple of instances of pulling into a gap of parked cars and following car not taking the opportunity to overtake and another one of car giving way when they plainly had the right of way and which I expecting them to take

boydj

Legendary Member
Another good argument for using primary position on narrow roads - that's where I would have been.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Another good argument for using primary position on narrow roads - that's where I would have been.
On narrow roads, agree: the oncoming vehicle is focused on the road/you - but the OP is not cycling on a narrow (rural) road. After riding in the primary position in the situation described, you would have either been stopped wheel to bumper (lose/lose, but with your cojones bulging with 'pride') or on the deck.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH, the driver was already committed to the worng side by the car behind the flatbed, so even if I was driving I'd have stopped. Most likely unintentional that he did this, but this is very very common on estate roads, they aren't designed for parking and two way traffic.

Panscrank

Just go on the kerb for a yard or two, pointless risking it with an idiot in a two ton car whether its your right of way or not. Self preservation comes first
Oh and report it.

Milzy

Guru
Report it. This sad individual knew what he was doing & having a private plate on a dog 💩 Seat is laughable.

classic33

Leg End Member
If your not willing to be a witness, if necessary, then I dont see the point in submitting it. It makes me wonder why you have bothered with a camera. Everybody has the right to question their accuser.
The camera can be there to "speak" for me if I'm not able.
Also useful when reporting surface defects.

Not everyone expects the case to end up in court either, with them having to appear. Maybe it's time to change the wording used, pointing out that it might get as far as the courts, and asking would you be willing to attend if required. Not throwing it in at the start, in an attempt to put peopt off reporting.

Ajax Bay

Guru
on an "estate" around my area . . . in my opinion this car for me anyway got a little too close for comfort. It's the first time it's happened to me which I guess is a shock in itself as I read lots of stories about close calls with other people.
Do you think this is worth a report? (I have the video saved)
Ask yourself (if you drive a car) if I was driving the same road in a car, in this situation, would I slow right down or stop and wait for the way to be clear before driving on, or push on and see what happens? Cui bono?
Pretty sure the police would politely take your video, watch it and decide 'NFA'.
Give and take on residential roads like this is the way civilised society gets by. Once a car is 'committed' as is clear from the OP images, both parties will benefit from common sense and neither party adopting a sense of entitlement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom