A close shave: the numpties are about...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
So, I've got a sore shoulder after diving into a hedge. Mind you, I have got an excuse:

IMAG1154.JPG

The X615 can in the middle was 'overtaking' me (i.e. trying to squeeze through) when a car coming in the opposite direction braked sharply behind another and veered over the white line. No-one badly hurt (though my Crud mudguard needs replacing!), but symptomatic of some rubbish driving at the moment. I ended up in the hedge next to X615. Obviously Christmas means you drink numpty juice and take your car out.

Be careful out there. There have been several accidents on Devon's roads today, none of which seem to have been because of ice, just operator error.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Glad you're okay. I have to admit I've wondered a few times what the result would be if one of the "MGIF" drivers passing in spite of oncoming traffic was to misjudge it.

Now we all know.:ohmy:

Yep, often I ride right behind elderly drivers, I know for a fact they have no idea I'm there, they have no idea what's going on around them sometimes. Stay well clear.

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Oh, you'll be interested to know that I was asked twice in the hospital whether I was wearing a helmet ... obviously had I not been, the, er, shoulder injury would have been far worse, though the hedge might have got off more lightly from my head impact.

Ern1e

Über Member
Oh, you'll be interested to know that I was asked twice in the hospital whether I was wearing a helmet ... obviously had I not been, the, er, shoulder injury would have been far worse, though the hedge might have got off more lightly from my head impact.
I think it may be time to dress like one of those American football chaps with all the shoulder pads etc next time out then ?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Sheet!!!!!! Glad you're ok Brian. I really really really hope you don't get "it was the cyclist's fault - he made me overtake in the middle of the road".

Without getting carried away with too much praise, the drivers around my crib usually give plenty of room, but I've often been surprised how they're willing to face-off an oncoming vehicle in the process.

Ern1e

Über Member
:stop: Not even in jest - you'll give those insurance bods ideas.
They most likely will have thought about that already Phil,that was the very thought I had as I typed it out ! then next thing will be we need "airbags" fitted front and rear the thought list is endless for those people.Why oh why could they not just bl**dy hold back for a few seconds all this would then not have happened, so insurance companys take note its not us (the cyclist's) who are the problem it's the numpteys they insure end of rant thankyou.

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
btw, it's nice to see the crumple zones doing their thing. Those cars might be right offs, but the drivers probably don't even have sore necks.

and @briantrumpet sensibly used a hedge as his crumple zone.
Yes, the impact speed was somewhere between 40-60mph, and everyone got out of their vehicles unaided, though one was taken to hospital as he was looking really rough with shock, and the front seat passenger of the other had struck his head on the windscreen, it seemed, so they took him off on a spinal board to check for neck & concussion complications, though he was very chirpy, talking selfies with his mate in the ambulance. I also went to A&E (bike with me in the ambo) to make sure nothing was broken (which it wasn't apart from my mudguard.) Oh, and then I cycled home from A&E. As you do.

Top Bottom