A conundrum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

Pete

Tetedelacourse said:
I've got one.

One day, Great Aunt Betty decided to go on holiday. The morning after she arrived, she went for a walk in the vicinity of her hotel, and saw, amongst other things, the Eiffel Tower, the Arc De Triomphe, the Louvre, the Champs Elysses and a big sign saying "Bienvenue a Paris".

Where did Great Aunt Betty go on holiday?
Well, seeing as she uses a Zimmer frame (see above), she couldn't possibly have walked to all those places in the real Paris, in the course of a single morning. So I'm still guessing.

Sorry, couldn't resist:biggrin:. Have been embittered by planes on treadmills and ducks. Hey plane on treadmill-gate was about a year ago! Can we have it again?
Didn't know about the plane-on-treadmill, but just googled it and it seems pretty obvious to me. Don't know what 'ducks' puzzle you are on about either, but it may be the same as the 'pigeons' puzzle I heard years ago:

A man is driving a truckload of live pigeons, packed into large cages loaded into the back of a solid-sided truck. He reaches a weak bridge. He figures that the combined weight of the truck, the cages, and the pigeons, is too much for the bridge, but minus the weight of the pigeons he is OK, so he bangs on the side of the truck to startle the pigeons and make them take to the air, until he is safely across.

Is he right? And would it make a difference, if the truck were open-sided?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Rhythm Thief said:
Charlie Tango Teakettle Barbecue.:biggrin:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: and he's a cyclist ;)

Speicher

Vice Admiral
domtyler said:
Speicher, when are you going to find out about the next party? You have got to get me on the guest list.
:biggrin:
:biggrin::biggrin:;)

On one occasion you described me as quite mad,;) now you say you want to go to a party with me. :biggrin::biggrin: Make your mind up. :biggrin: You could start by joining me at LOTP's.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
domtyler said:
Speicher, when are you going to find out about the next party? You have got to get me on the guest list.
:biggrin:
:biggrin::biggrin:;)

On one occasion you described me as quite mad,;) now you say you want to go to a party with me. :biggrin::biggrin: Make your mind up. :biggrin: You could start by joining me at LOTP's.

Tetedelacourse

Pete said:
Well, seeing as she uses a Zimmer frame (see above), she couldn't possibly have walked to all those places in the real Paris, in the course of a single morning. So I'm still guessing.

Didn't know about the plane-on-treadmill, but just googled it and it seems pretty obvious to me. Don't know what 'ducks' puzzle you are on about either, but it may be the same as the 'pigeons' puzzle I heard years ago:

A man is driving a truckload of live pigeons, packed into large cages loaded into the back of a solid-sided truck. He reaches a weak bridge. He figures that the combined weight of the truck, the cages, and the pigeons, is too much for the bridge, but minus the weight of the pigeons he is OK, so he bangs on the side of the truck to startle the pigeons and make them take to the air, until he is safely across.

Ah I think we had this one in a different version a while back - a bird in a box on a set of scales, does the reading on the scales change if the bird hovers. Cisamcgu posted it I think.

I guess no it doesn't change the combined weight of the truck if they fly, but if the truck is open-sided, it does as there's an outlet for the the force the flapping generates. ? !

As for Aunt Betty, well she could of course be at a hotel at the base of the Eiffel tower and catch a lift up. Although they might have moved that sign by now I guess. Obviously she wouldn't have made it up the Arc, which I reckon has better views.

Plane on treadmill I think extended to around 30 pages of arguing. Mjones got my vote for his answer but there were many arguments.

Ducks was Hippo's and it got to around 30 pages too. But only because Hippo was being a stubborn duck.

Tetedelacourse

Pete said:

Ah I think we had this one in a different version a while back - a bird in a box on a set of scales, does the reading on the scales change if the bird hovers. Cisamcgu posted it I think.

I guess no it doesn't change the combined weight of the truck if they fly, but if the truck is open-sided, it does as there's an outlet for the the force the flapping generates. ? !

As for Aunt Betty, well she could of course be at a hotel at the base of the Eiffel tower and catch a lift up. Although they might have moved that sign by now I guess. Obviously she wouldn't have made it up the Arc, which I reckon has better views.

Plane on treadmill I think extended to around 30 pages of arguing. Mjones got my vote for his answer but there were many arguments.

Ducks was Hippo's and it got to around 30 pages too. But only because Hippo was being a stubborn duck.

Top Bottom