A conversation with the hill demon.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ningishzidda

I know it well! It is a proper hill.

I've got a little loop which goes up Grange Road, up the cutting at Thurstaston, back around to Montogomery Hill, up Thurstaston and repeat as many times as you feel like it and on the last turn of Montgomery hill go back up Column Road, down Grammar School lane and around to Black Horse Hill: You can see it below.

http://app.strava.com/activities/20918270

It's one of the few ways you can practise hills around here. It'll hurt but just think how better up hills you'll be.

Strava tracklogs in METRIC please. It makes entry into 'HillCatsCalc.xlsx' easier. :smile:

Start to top of Column Rd is a Category 3.
Thurstaston Hill is a Category 3.
The hill mid way is a Category 4.
Column Hill doesn't classify.
Black Horse Hill doesn't classify.

Hill: "You're a fat, old git and you'll give yourself a heart attack if you carry on like that"

Me: "Hurrumph".

Hill: "That's not even a very posh bike, but it's way too good for you".

Hill: "Do you look in a mirror before you leave home in that lycra?"

Hill: "Do you imagine it'll stop rattling between gears if you just wipe the frame down twice a year? You do, don't you?"

Hill: "You know I get a little steeper just before the summit, don't you?"

Hill: "Most other riders your age are out of the saddle way more than you are on this climb".

Hill: "You want to move those cleats back. Have you had a proper bike fit? You're not using a plumbline and a tape measure, are you? That is so sad."

Hill: "Did you have thirds of pasta again today? It still counts even if it's after the others have left the table".

Me: "Just FARK OFF Hill!!!"

Thats very cool! :smile:
Might do that today given theres now 2 inches of snow on the ground!!
Today! You're mad. No, you're joking, you've got to be joking, even on a mtn bike you wouldn't get through the slush, it's horrible on the roads.

Strava tracklogs in METRIC please. It makes entry into 'HillCatsCalc.xlsx' easier. :smile:

Start to top of Column Rd is a Category 3.
Thurstaston Hill is a Category 3.
The hill mid way is a Category 4.
Column Hill doesn't classify.
Black Horse Hill doesn't classify.

And do you know how they originally came up with the classification system? It was the gear needed by the race organisers Citroen Avant to get up the hill. Hors Category meant they couldn't get the car up the hill. No surprise really...

Citron-Traction-Avant1.jpg

And do you know how they originally came up with the classification system? It was the gear needed by the race organisers Citroen Avant to get up the hill. Hors Category meant they couldn't get the car up the hill. No surprise really...

I'm not sure that story is entirely accurate... If it is, it may not have been on the basis of the car in the picture.

I owned and drove one for a year or so and it was blessed with only three forward gears.

Unlike to 2cv, whose gearbox was described in house as "3-speed with overdrive", the Traction had no fourth forward gear of any description.

The gear change nonetheless remains one of my favourite. Like a Moto Guzzi, it wouldn't be hurried but it felt... sublime. Also like a Guzzi.

Carry on.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm not sure that story is entirely accurate... If it is, it may not have been on the basis of the car in the picture.

I owned and drove one for a year or so and it was blessed with only three forward gears.

Unlike to 2cv, whose gearbox was described in house as "3-speed with overdrive", the Traction had no fourth forward gear of any description.

The gear change nonetheless remains one of my favourite. Like a Moto Guzzi, it wouldn't be hurried but it felt... sublime. Also like a Guzzi.

Carry on.
Aha, I just checked on Wikipedalia - Cat 4 came in later and hors catégorie even later

Ningishzidda

Citron-Traction-Avant1.jpg

I was told it was a Renault. It involved a bucket and a large spring balance.
And do you know the formulas when a new hill is used?

MarkF

Guru
No internal conversations for me. When I come to a long incline, I zone out totally, disconnect my brain from my legs, my brain goes somewhere else, (usually a place with women) and my legs just keep turning, that, as well as not looking for the summit, does the trick for me.

Reactions: Jet

GrasB

Veteran
Hill: "You're a fat, old git and you'll give yourself a heart attack if you carry on like that"

Hill: "Did you have thirds of pasta again today? It still counts even if it's after the others have left the table".

Me: "Just FARK OFF Hill!!!"
You know, hills only apply the laws of physics to you if the hill knows your there. I tend to sneak up on them & then explode up the road. My hill conversations go a little like:

Hill: Oh? Whoa? OI! get back here! I didn't get to slow you down. oi! OI!! OI!!!! come back, B*****d!!!!!!

Me: :hello::tongue::laugh:

Reactions: Jet
OP
OP
Jet

Jet

Veteran
Today! You're mad. No, you're joking, you've got to be joking, even on a mtn bike you wouldn't get through the slush, it's horrible on the roads.

Awww gutted you didn't spot me at the top of Grange Road today - I was the girly in the bikini and shades - having taken on board the vibe that I'm a total wuss for feeling the cold and having got my tough nut side out of hibernation..... :ninja:

(Yeah - just kidding!!! :smile: )

sheffgirl

Finally did it, managed to get all the way up the hill :dance:
I stopped halfway up, but I made it right to the top and that's what counts!
Thanks to the kind 4x4 driver who waited patiently for me so I didn't lose my momentum :smile:

Top Bottom