A conversation with the hill demon.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jet

Veteran
So, another 22 miles of c2c training completed but OMG what a struggle.

1/3 of the way up the final gradient the hill demon came and perched on my shoulder for the ride.
'Get off and walk' he whispered intimately into my ear. 'You know you want to'.
Aaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhh.
'You're almost home. You're not enjoying it. GIVE UP!' he crooned.

I'm happy to report I put my head down, kept the legs turning and eventually ditched the demon in a pothole near the top.
BUT.....will there ever come a point when I can 'do' hills without it being a struggle?
Is there a magic number of hills or miles after which I'll start to actually enjoy the climbs??

I don't ever remember suffering quite as much when I was a regular MTBer - maybe coz you know the climb will be rewarded with an exciting downhill section.

Help!!:cry:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, the day will come when you will begin to enjoy and even seek out hills. Bizarre but true.

The good thing about hills is that often they get you to places more quickly than the long way round and they gain you height and momentum.

sheffgirl

I find hills difficult. There's one particular (steep) hill I am determined to conquer, but I can't seem to get any further up it yet. I get to the same point every time and get off and walk. Today my knee hurts though, not when I'm walking, just when I'm cycling unfortunately. Maybe I'm getting old :laugh:

OP
OP
Jet

Jet

Veteran
I think if I had a road bike and slicks it would probably be a lot easier too!
Its absolutely soul destroying when I'm pedaling my little heart out and road bikers steam past me :ohmy:
Embarassing! :blush:
Have to say, I'm looking forward to completing the c2c sos I can go back to doing what I enjoy most - off road, muddy, rocky trails!!

OP
OP
Jet

Jet

Veteran
Oh goodie!!! I'm deliberately training on my knobblies so that when I put my slicks on for the c2c it'll be a doddle!! :laugh:
Going to do the Liverpool - Chester so maybe by then, with slicks on, I'll notice a big difference.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Have to say, I'm looking forward to completing the c2c

Where are you going from and to Jet ?

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I did a C2C a couple of years ago, St Bees to Robin Hoods Bay. Are you taking in Hardknott/Wrynose/Kirkstone Passes ? Awesome challenges, a real sense of acheivement at the top of each of them, especially Hardknott........

Whichever route you have planned have fun :thumbsup:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Yes there does come a point where hills get easier sadly there is only one way you get better at hills and that is by doing hills.

Last year I was cycling on one of my usual routes and I joined a road behind someone else and as he was going slow I overtook him, I could just tell he was going to try to race me to the top of the very big hill coming up, and as I thought as soon as I got halfway up the hill I could see him right behind me in my mirrors. So I stood on the pedals and just went for it to the top, once I had gone over the top and was on my way over the flat I looked in my mirror again and he was only just at the top and looked like he was stopping ^_^

Of course there was also the time I was cycling up the same hill and a girl overtook me on a road bike and full team/club kit and shot to the top like it wasnt there, in my defence she was quite small so therefore much lighter than me :whistle:

snorri

Legendary Member
Globalti said:
Yes, the day will come when you will begin to enjoy and even seek out hills. Bizarre but true.​
How long do you think, before this day comes? I've been cycling for over 40 years and it aint arrived yet
^_^
I'm with you on that dave r, even if the enjoyment arrives tomorrow I can't see it lasting for long, certainly not forty years.:smile:

Top Bottom